Posted By: oc_41 pain in jaw - 01-10-2012 12:19 AM
Hello all, I haven't been on here in a long time. I am an oral cancer survivor of 2 1/2 years. I lost half my tongue, and the left side of my mouth they removed teeth, gum all the way to bone. I am having moderate pain in the jaw bone, sore to touch, a little sore when I chew. Is this something I should have looked at right away or wait to see if it goes away? Do you have an educated guess of what it could be? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Richard T. Re: pain in jaw - 01-10-2012 01:11 AM
Hello oc 41;

You definitely want your doc to rule out osteoradionecrosis or osteosarcoma of the mandible. In fact, even if you haven't received radiation I'd make an appointment. The sooner you address this the better. For sure have this checked out. I am just beginning my recovery from a mandibulectomy from radiation-induced osteosarcoma. I started with numbness in the jaw, a little tenderness and finally, a rapidly growing lump. The sooner you get a diagnosis the better. It might be nothing but, ...you know. Good luck. Now go out there and be proactive.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: pain in jaw - 01-10-2012 01:30 PM
Hi - Richard is right it could be many thing but best to have it looked at ASAP!
Posted By: SUEZ Re: pain in jaw - 01-10-2012 09:09 PM
Yes go and get it checked out. Ron yesterday had the doc actually scrape his dead bone(i cringe everytime i think bout this nothing usually bothers me either)right in the office...owwweee, with no meds either, Ron showed me 2 toothpicks put together is how much dead bone he scraped, my God don't that hurt? Ron said it didn't tickle but it didn't bother him either...I won't look either but isn't there his skin from his gums or is that open? I can't look...doc said he wanted Ron to go to Oral doc but Ron said not now so Dr said he will see how it goes and in 3 months do it again if needed guess not doing HBO no mention. So does this mean it's not that bad?
Posted By: ZendaT Re: pain in jaw - 01-11-2012 05:26 PM
Have it checked out soon. I have osteoradionecrosis in my right mandible related to radiation in 2005. The early indicators that something was not right were trismus, pain in the jaw, and a white "knot" behind my back right molar. I had 60 HBO treatments last year and good results with "stabilization." However, I developed fistulas with drainage and am now having 30 additional HBO dives. Also on oral antibiotics. My dentist was able to take photos with a tiny(obviously ;)) camera on one of his dental instruments to show the bone of my jaw coming through my gums.

SUEZ: I would encourage Ron to see an Oral Surgeon for an evaluation as HBO may be an option.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum