Posted By: sallyanne Radiation Doses - 09-26-2011 09:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

We just got my pathology reports back today. The great news is that there was nothing found in the lymph nodes. I feel so incredibly blessed!! However, there was a note in the report which indicates that there was perineural invasion which means that radiation will most likely be recommended course of treatment.

Our doctor is away now so all of this was interpreted by one of his associates. We'll go through it with our doctor again in a lot of detail when he is back.

In the meantime- can anyone offer any color on the perineural invasion... Does radiation have different doses? Would the rads basically be the same as if the nodes had been positive?

Thank you!!

Sally
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Radiation Doses - 09-26-2011 09:49 PM
My understanding is that radiation for PNI is standard. My post surgical pathology report also showed PNI so they gave me yet another round of radiation even though I had already had the "maximum" 70 GY the first time. [re-radiation is becoming quite common since CyberKnife] The Dose of radiation varies with location and I'm not competent to guess about yours.
It's always disappointing to have to undergo even more TX, but trust me, it's far better than having the cancer come back.
Congratulations on a good node report. That's a very good sign.
Keep the faith
Charm
Posted By: ConnieFL Re: Radiation Doses - 09-26-2011 11:31 PM
Sally,

Congrats!!! I'm glad no node involvement.

I have no idea about PNI and Radiation. I know you'll do what your Dr. suggests you're going to one of the best Cancer Centers.

Keep us posted. ((Hugs))

Connie
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Radiation Doses - 09-27-2011 02:03 AM
I believe it is the same as if you had nodes involved. It's a standard dose. Though they may target your tongue primarily and paint the nodes. Good luck and congrats.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum