Posted By: Balakal Gum Cancer? - 09-21-2011 11:29 PM
Hope all you lion hearted members are doing well! It is such a wonderful community to be associated with.

I am not sure if you folks remember me.. I had done some postings a few month back regarding a red patch on the lateral tongue which was biopsied and turned out to be negative for C.

4 weeks back, I had swelling and irritation on my lower gums between the lips. A few days later it subsided and then I did not take notice of it although it kept irritating me every day when ever I used to chew and the food particles would come in contact with those. 2 weeks back I examined it and found that there was a thin spot. I showed it to my Dentise who dismissed as an infection and did some scaling and prescribed some antibiotics. Although the inflammation has subsided, the irritation and the white spot is still there. Do you think I should get it biopsied? Any one here has had Gum C earlier and if so what were the initial signs?
Posted By: julieann Re: Gum Cancer? - 09-22-2011 12:59 AM
Hi Balakal: I would have it biopsied just so I could have peace of mind. I'm sure others on the Forum who have or know of symptoms will reply and give you good advice. You just sound like you won't be happy until you are sure, which is tha way I would be. Hopefully, it's just what your dentist said.
julieann
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Gum Cancer? - 09-22-2011 03:30 AM
Yup - hi and welcome back... Yes do have it biopsied!! good luck.
Posted By: Eshwar N Re: Gum Cancer? - 09-22-2011 04:16 AM
Hi Balakal, what makes you think that you have cancer? You had raised suspicion thrice in past 6 months. Do you have Carcinophobia (Cancer Phobia)? If you smoke, dip tobacco or Pan masala, or booze; probably it is time to call it quits! Maintain good oral hygiene and stop worrying about it.

Posted By: ChristineB Re: Gum Cancer? - 09-22-2011 04:37 AM
Hi Balakal! I do remember you. Any sore that is in your mouth for 2 weeks or longer should be checked by a dental professional or ENT. I also have some questions about what is irritating your mouth. Do you use tobacco or any other substance that would irritate your gums?

I have had a tumor on my gums the first time I had cancer. I actually had 2 completely separate tumors, one on my cheek and one behind my top molar. Mine looked just like a canker sore to me. I couldnt believe it when the biopsies came back with a diagnosis of cancer.

I would suggest to get this spot biopsied. It has been there for a while and needs to be checked. I hope it is not cancer! Best wishes!!!!
Posted By: Balakal Re: Gum Cancer? - 09-23-2011 10:54 PM
Hi all

Thanks for your suggestions. I am meeting a dental surgeon tomorrow and keep you posted. My problem is that not many of the Doctors are too keen to do a biopsy at a early stage and prefer to give some time. Any way, I will try forcing him to do the biopsy.

Hi Eswar

I used to dip until 2 years back and was a very light drinker (maybe 3-4 drinks in a year). Yes, you may be right, I might have Carcinophobia
Posted By: Eshwar N Re: Gum Cancer? - 09-24-2011 12:41 PM
Hi Balakal, good to know that you have quit and now I understand your concern. All you need to do is stop worrying, as Christine said "Any sore that is in your mouth for 2 weeks or longer should be checked by a dental professional or ENT"

If you have already waited for more than two weeks and it is still there then suggest you show it to ENT. For carcinophobia, try some alternative therapy.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum