Posted By: Brian0703 Brush Biopsy - 09-21-2011 06:25 PM
I keep reading people suggesting not to allow the oral surgeon to do a brush biopsy and insist on a surgical biopsy. I understand the surgical biopsy is the "gold standard" but isn't the brush biopsy helpful sometimes depending on the situation?

I have an appointment on Tues and I know they sometimes do brush biopsies. I don't know why they do that sometimes and not others.

From what I read on the general oral cancer foundation website, it sounds like the brush biopsy is reliable to detect abnormal cells, which would then lead to a surgical biopsy. I am just confused by the information. Thanks.
Posted By: julieann Re: Brush Biopsy - 09-21-2011 08:29 PM
Hi Brian:

I'm not sure about a "brush" biopsy, but when I first had a small swollen place under my neck biopsied, they did a "needle" biopsy, which came back NEGATIVE. It wasn't until they actually took my tonsils out, at my insistence, that they discovered squamous-cell cancer under right tonsil. So, if it's possible to have a surgical biopsy, I'd go for it. If not, you'll always have doubts - I did, which is why I insisted my tonsils be removed. I wish you all the luck possible and pray you're biopsy will be nagative.
julieann
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum