Posted By: WarrenW A misdiagnosis. SCC to MEC - 08-10-2011 03:17 PM
Thank goodness for second opinions. Johns Hopkins reclassified the pathology slides that they got from Prince William Hospital. PWH pathologists (2 of them...) said it was SCC. JH took a look and said it was intermediate grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma, though the final grading will be dependent on the full section. UGGG. I thought I was done with surprises until after the surgeries.

http://oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/rare/mc/index.htm

The plan is still the same. TORS to resect right BOT on 8/17/11, and bilateral selective ND on 9/2/11 to check for metastasis.

Overall, he is pleased with this change. He says the long term outlook is better as long as they can get clear margins. Apparently the BOT is a "good" place to have MEC since it is surrounded by soft tissue, and should result in less complications to remove.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: A misdiagnosis. SCC to MEC - 08-10-2011 03:47 PM
I commented on the other thread - but that's scary - the misdiagnosis. You'll pull through this well. smile good luck with your upcoming surgeries - have they mentioned chemotherapy and rads yet?
Posted By: WarrenW Re: A misdiagnosis. SCC to MEC - 08-10-2011 06:10 PM
He tells me that if they get clear margins and the ND comes back clear, he says I'll be done, though I suspect that could change if the pathology shows it as high grade MEC. Scary frown
Posted By: Cheryld Re: A misdiagnosis. SCC to MEC - 08-11-2011 02:04 PM
It is and it's not fun - but if it happens (saying a prayer for you that it doesn't!) theres plenty if support here - also if you didgeridoo the rads bullet - keep a close eye out especially he neck area! smile take care!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum