Posted By: jackhoar Lung met possible - 04-28-2011 12:09 AM
Hi all, just met with thoracic surgeon regarding spot in lung which has been showing up in CTs. Recent PET in that area also lit up. Has grown a little since last August CT scan. I have been told it is not a candidate for needle biopsy. Suggestion is to undergo a VATS treatment to get it out and see what it is...... Any advice as to how to proceed. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Lung met possible - 04-28-2011 01:55 AM
A second opinion at a cancer center would be a good idea.

Im unfamiliar with the VATS procedure is.
Posted By: jackhoar Re: Lung met possible - 04-28-2011 12:26 PM
Hi Christine, my RO referred me to this surgeon. VATS is just shorthand for Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery. They would remove the suspicious area of the lung (lower right lobe) check margins and biopsy the sample. There is really no other way of knowing for sure what it is.....a possible met or other mass of unknown origin. Thanks for your concern.
Posted By: klo Re: Lung met possible - 04-28-2011 09:48 PM
Hi Jackhoar

The only advice I can put forward, is to talk to the surgeon or nurse about any post surgery after effects. For example will there be pain and if so, for how long and what sort of pain management do they have in mind? What are you allowed to do afterwards and how long before you will be able to return to full movement? I am biased and would rather talk to a nurse who is more likely to sit you down and talk you through any fears or misconceptions.

My Alex had lung surgery for a different reason (repair a tear in the lower left lobe after a lung collapse which required removal of a part of the lung) so this may not be quite the same, but we were both suprised how long the effects of surgery lasted. He was in ICU for 4 days and was on a triple combination of some serious pain killers and tranquilisers and continues to get twinges after lifting 9 months out.

For us, the pain was completely manageable but you need to know about it so you CAN manage it. Because we didn't know, Alex thought he was some sort of failure or wimp, or even more disturbing; that the surgery had somehow gone wrong.

Good luck

Karen
Posted By: slash Re: Lung met possible - 04-29-2011 12:32 AM
Hi,

My husband had a mass in the lower right lobe last December that showed up on a follow-up CT. His RO was really concerned and even looked at the scan itself, rather than just the report. The RO is a pessimist and tends to jump to the worse case scenarios. I tuned out all the scary talk and asked for next steps. He sent Tim to a pulmonologist, with the staff wishing us a Merry Christmas on our way out. Bummer of a holiday weekend.

When we saw the pulmonologist he agreed that IF the mass was cancer, it would be a very bad thing. The area is not good for a needle biopsy. He gave us two options � a more invasive biopsy or treat it with antibiotics.

His logic was that the lower right lobe is where aspirated gunk ends up. Metastasized cancer is usually closer to the middle of the chest (has anyone on here heard that?). Even though Tim had no other symptoms of pneumonia, he was put on a strong dose of antibiotics for three weeks. It turned out to be an infection. Yippy! He had a follow-up x-ray this week and the only thing left is a bit of scarring.

I pray that you, too, are going to be fine.
Susan
Posted By: jackhoar Re: Lung met possible - 05-05-2011 02:06 AM
Thanks to all who replied. Surgery is Friday. Lower right lung "wedge" dissection. Minimally invasive thorascopic procedure. Camera hole and two holes for instruments.. Expecting negative result and will post when able.
Posted By: jackhoar Re: Lung met possible - 05-07-2011 04:02 PM
Biopsy showing negative. Procedure went very well. Thank you.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Lung met possible - 05-07-2011 05:44 PM
Congrats Jack!!!!!
Posted By: julieann Re: Lung met possible - 05-07-2011 09:53 PM
WONDERFUL NEWS, jack. Congratulations!
julieann
Posted By: David2 Re: Lung met possible - 05-09-2011 04:02 PM
Jack, that's fantastic.
Posted By: wendys Re: Lung met possible - 05-10-2011 05:32 PM
Great news!! Way to stay calm in the face of the storm.
Posted By: jackhoar Re: Lung met possible - 05-17-2011 05:53 PM
Thanks again to all of the well wishers in this forum.
For anyone considering or needing this procedure: The recovery has been a breeze. Three nights in the hospital for monitoring. Pain pills continued for a couple of days after that. Eleven days post surgery now and just a slight tightness type of pain when fully expanding lungs. Chief of Thoracic Surgery from Mass General did the procedure. Would highly recommend to anyone interested.
Posted By: wendys Re: Lung met possible - 05-18-2011 07:04 PM
Great news jack!!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum