Posted By: Linda Jo 2 types of Chemo and radiation - 03-10-2011 04:30 AM
Everything I read never said I would be wipped out all week long. I have 33 treatments and they said due to me doing both of them I will only get worse. They chaged one of my Chemo's and its helped some. I stay so wipped out how do you cope with that. 7 weeks in bed is a long time and the Dr said radiation will stop working 2 months aftr treatments are over.
any smell makes me sick. I lost 9 lbs this week. anything sweet (and I LOVE Dr pepper) everything is too salty. Luckly i dont have the matalic taste as of yet. Any avice?
Posted By: davidcpa Re: 2 types of Chemo and radiation - 03-10-2011 01:15 PM
What rad Tx are you on?

Tell us more about your Dx.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: 2 types of Chemo and radiation - 03-10-2011 02:15 PM
Linda Im sorry you are having such a difficult time right now. Everyone responds differntly to every kind of medication, treatment, etc. Please add a signature line so we know more about your diagnosis and can help you easier. Its under the my stuff tab, click on profile and scroll down to the bottom and type in the box. Hope today is a better day for you.
Posted By: EzJim Re: 2 types of Chemo and radiation - 03-10-2011 05:22 PM
This is bound to make you tired and the only cure is to force yourself out of bed and be as active as possible. The tiredness will last much longer than the treatments so it's up to you to do your best to remain with as normal a life as you can. Good luck thru this and I'm sure most of us have that tired worn out feeling long after the rads and chemo have stopped.
Posted By: EzJim Re: 2 types of Chemo and radiation - 03-10-2011 05:24 PM
Two chemos? Or Chemo and radiation? I didn't know they would 2 of either at the same time.
Posted By: kenswife Re: 2 types of Chemo and radiation - 03-11-2011 01:37 AM
My husband had 2 types of chemo (Carboplatin and Abraxene) as part of a clinical trial 1x a week for 7 weeks and daily rad treatments. He had a really hard time - awful pain and exhaustion but luckily was never really had nauseau (had 3 drugs to help with that). He was hospitalized for pain management for a few days and because of the medication he was "out of it" a lot. He is stillo on methadone, dialaudid and neurontin even 2 weeks post treatment. He is doing much better already though. He is not as tired and he can talk more and is able to drink some and walks around the neighborhood at least once a day. It was the longest 7 weeks but it does get better slowly.
Posted By: Eileen Re: 2 types of Chemo and radiation - 03-11-2011 06:57 PM
Linda,
You need to get out of bed and take a walk around the block a couple of times a day. Doesn't have to be a long one but if you don't you are going to lose a lot of muscle. The weather should be getting nicer, so the fresh air should help. Hope you are feeling better soon. Here's to a speedy recovery,

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Dragan Re: 2 types of Chemo and radiation - 03-13-2011 02:46 AM
I agree with what everyone else has said; the importance of getting even a minimal bit of exercise. Also, stay hydrated! that was the single biggest problem I had during rads, and every time I wound up being admitted, it was due to dehydration.
Rads alone is tortuous; for me it was FAR worse than the surgery was, and I had a LOT of surgery. Some days it was getting by minute by minute, no question.
But...you will get through it. Set a goal tomorrow to get up, get dressed by yourself, and walk from your front door to the street and back, twice. Reward yourself with a liter of water.

Do the same thing the next day, or push it up to three round trips. You'll be quite surprised at how helpful it is.
Much luck!
Posted By: Jenslp Re: 2 types of Chemo and radiation - 03-13-2011 05:15 PM
One of the chemo nurses told me that chemo induced fatigue was different and that the less you do the more fatigued you feel. She said that the fatigue is diminished with activity rather than worsened. In an effort to try to believe her theory, I walked around the block even when I felt like I could sleep the entire day away. She was right, I always felt like I had more energy after a short walk and found that I could even do a few things around the house - not much, but enough to keep the house somewhat put together!

Take good care - this is the rough time - it will get better!
Posted By: Gary Re: 2 types of Chemo and radiation - 03-14-2011 10:37 AM
Fatigue from RT and ct are well known side effects of Tx as well as weight loss. The average person takes one week of recovery for every week of treatment. What Eileen suggests is the best thing you can do - nothing rigotous, just a daily walk, as long as your caloric intake supports it.

It's also weird when your sense of smell in heightened yet you can't taste anything. Many of us couldn't stand the smell of food cooking.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: 2 types of Chemo and radiation - 04-08-2011 03:41 AM
Linda - I know you feel like crap but don't stay in bed all day it will not help. Try to get up md move around it will help.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum