Posted By: Barbara Grim outer ear pain, pressure top of head - 04-10-2010 03:37 AM
Hello I am brand new to this forum. My Name is Larry and I am a year and 3 months past treatment for stage 3 right tonsil cancer with 4 postive nodes. Had tonsils removed Oct 08 2008 and radical neck disection Oct 22 08. Had 30 rads stating Dec 9th. had peg for 8 months. eating pretty normally now. Have had mild discomfort in right ear some time left ear also since neck discection. also have pressure on top of head. Docs say nothing to worry about but still worries me. Last week or so been hoarse and coughing a littie am hoping just pollen. Anybody else experience simalar sytmoms. Have not had any post scans docs don't seem to think warrented??
Posted By: davidcpa Re: outer ear pain, pressure top of head - 04-10-2010 12:55 PM
Larry,

First congrats on being finished with the Tx. Three months post Tx and you are doing very well. This recovery can take anywhere from 1 to 2 years so in that regard your body is just starting the recovery process. Not to say don't pay attention to how you feel but don't go overboard either.

BTW, were you tested for HPV?
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: outer ear pain, pressure top of head - 04-10-2010 03:01 PM
Larry,

It is normal to worry about all of the tweaks, creaks, and pains following treatment. You are always on alert. After a cancer diagnosis, you can't help but be sensitive to every little thing. When in doubt, check it out. If you are still concerned, communicate with your Dr. or Nurse Practitioner. Some of these things just need time to work themselves out. You are still in the healing process. I'm assuming that you have follow up appointments scheduled over the next months. Keep a diary of your concerns and bring them to your next appt. About the scans--everyone is different. Ask your Dr. for more info on that.

All the best as you recover! And try to relax by focusing on something (other than Ca) that interests you. This is a wonderful group to share your concerns with.

Anita
Posted By: julieann Re: outer ear pain, pressure top of head - 04-10-2010 05:00 PM
Hi Larry:

I have similar symptoms, except I also wake up with a headache, along with the pressure in my head. Mine has gotten worse since the pollen is so bad in this area. My doctors associate my problem(s) with pollen and sinus. My right ear hurts, but only when I lay on that side, which is strange. My ear doesn't hurt during the day when I am up. You will love being on this forum; you'll learn so much. Also, there is always someone who will answer any questions you might have concerning any new symptoms, or treatments. Welcome.
julieann
Posted By: beeboppin5 Re: outer ear pain, pressure top of head - 04-11-2010 07:22 AM
I am having some pain also in my right ear, especially when I wake up in the morning. I had my surgery one month ago and attribute the pain to having my jaw open wide during the 6 hour surgery. It is, thankfully, the only consistent pain I have had since the surgery, but also have a pinched nerve in my left trapezious muscle. Have any of you had the burning pain as if a pinched nerve? I am also wondering when I will get more strength in my left arm. The PT gave me some exercises to do, but she said to take it easy as I am still numb from the neck dissection.

Barb
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: outer ear pain, pressure top of head - 04-11-2010 01:55 PM
Barb

Took me about two months to regain enough strength in the left shoulder and arm after intensive PT to pull an outer jacket or coat on without having to slip the left arm in first, then pull and tug with the right arm. It's still weaker than the right side where I did not have a neck dissection but it still continues to get better. Hang in there.
Charm
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: outer ear pain, pressure top of head - 04-11-2010 04:11 PM
Clark had had weakness and pain in his right shoulder following his surgery in November. The PS attributed this to grafting the blood vessels from the flap on his jaw to the blood vessels next to the clavicle. He also has been in PT for months to regain his strength and mobility. The belief is that the trapezius nerve was irritated during surgery and it can take months up to a year for the nerve to heal. The nerve wasn't severed as he has always had the ability to move his arm and hand. Although this is frustrating, it is reassuring that in time it will improve.

Anita
Posted By: wilckdds Re: outer ear pain, pressure top of head - 04-12-2010 12:22 AM
BTW, Larry is ONE YEAR and 3 months past treatment.

Larry,

It would be easier if you put your history in the signature section and then you won't have to repeat anything and it will show every time that you post. Just left click on your name and then click on "view profile". Put everything in the bottom box.
Posted By: beeboppin5 Re: outer ear pain, pressure top of head - 04-17-2010 11:29 PM
Thanks Charm. This is very reassuring as I continue to heal. I started back to work this week and the trapezious pain doesn't seem to be as much a factor as the sheer exhaustion. I come home hungry and tired every day and take a little nap to keep my energy level high, but I am not looking forward to working during radiation tx next 6 weeks. I am looking into completing an FMLA and taking off the month of May. Sad for my seniors, but they will understand. My long term substitute is awesome and they love her, so it won't be so bad. I will play it by ear, but after reading some stories, it sounds like I will be even more tired than normal. I also sound a little like my severe special ed kids, and although no one says so, my speech is not good yet.

Barb
Posted By: EzJim Re: outer ear pain, pressure top of head - 04-18-2010 07:29 PM
Yes you will be very tired. Especially if you are tired now. Rads make you think someone else is in your body and just want you to doze a lot. You will handle it and one day be back to normal. That is the day I have been waiting for.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum