Posted By: Michaelii Radiation Damage to Carotid Arteries - 08-24-2018 03:16 AM
Apparently I've been having strokes for quite some time due to the damage to the arteries supplying blood to my brain, about 100% damage (full occlusion) on the Right side (treatment side);and for some reason 90% blockage on the Left side.

My cardiologist said the treatment would normally include a possible stent but due to the radiation and surgery he isn't willing or able to even try.

He said that the artery has a lot of scar tissue and fibrosis.

I don't know what to do.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Radiation Damage to Carotid Arteries - 08-26-2018 12:25 PM
Im sorry to read about your ongoing issues. Many of us have ongoing late effect issues long after we were treated. First I would suggest a second or even third opinion. Skilled surgeons or the cyber knife can do things other surgeons may not be able to. You arent alone in this! Ive seen others go thru this here. If you do a search using carotid artery in our search box near the top right, you will find many posts to read about how they handled it.

Best wishes with everything!!!
Posted By: Michaelii Re: Radiation Damage to Carotid Arteries - 08-29-2018 08:05 PM
Thank you Christine! Great to hear from you (see you) again!

Michael
Posted By: PaulB Re: Radiation Damage to Carotid Arteries - 08-31-2018 08:39 PM
Hi Michael!

I responded to another one of your posts regarding swallowing issues. You may see my name in some of the post searches for “carotid artery” as I’ve had my left carotid artery removed several years ago, actually 2014, so I have one side blood flow on the right. I’m not completely sure of your situation, but just reaching out at this time to say hi!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum