Posted By: larry6905 12 weeks out still not eating rash on neck - 04-18-2015 09:24 PM
I've had a red dry rash on my neck in several places for last 10 days. Anyone experienced this? Suggestions?

I still have sticky phlegm which I spit out frequently. I sleep sitting upright.

My RO seems to think I ought to be eating and drinking by now.

My ENT got me a swallow and speech therapist and I do exercises. I can get down 8 oz of pur�ed foods and 4oz of honey thick liquid. But it takes me a while. I feel it getting caught up. Even though it's baby steps I feel I am moving forward. It feels confusing when RO thinks I should be drinking water regularly. He just doesn't seem to get the fact I choke and therapist watches me. She feels I need to be cautious as I was hospitalized with aspiration pneumonia in Dec.

I still have my PEG and my weight fluctuates even though my calorie intake is same. I am on liquid hope and do well with it.

My pet was clear but for a spot in a lung. Next scan is August.
Larry, recovery from OC and its brutal treatments takes a very long time. We all recover at our own pace, it cant be rushed or put on another person's timetable. A complete recovery takes a full 2 years. Radiation continues to work even after the treatments stop. Ive heard from a few on here recovery takes a month for every week of rads the patient has. Next time your doc is comparing you to other patients and how their recovery went, ask him exactly how many OC patients he has treated. To me it doesnt sound like this doctor has enough compassion for the suffering of OC patients.

Im glad your therapist understands and isnt pushing you too hard. As you know aspiration can cause serious problems and is very common for OC patients when they are relearning how to eat. With your history Im surprised your doc is trying to rush your recovery.

The rash is not common to show up 3 months post rads. Most of us had a red sunburn like area from the rads but this showed up during rads, not after. You probably should check this with your doc to rule out a reaction to something or anything serious.

Hang in there, you are doing your best and thats all anyone can expect. Most patients want to get well and get easily frustrated with their progress. Your body has been thru so much and it takes time to rebuild itself. Dont sweat it, in time you will get there.

PS... Try adding high protein whey powder to your feedings to boost your protein intake. Protein helps to speed healing.

Posted By: Uptown Re: 12 weeks out still not eating rash on neck - 04-19-2015 03:24 AM
The red, dry rash could be radiation recall if it is in the field. Some people get it dark, almost purple, but it can be red. The timeframe is about right.
I appreciate your input very much.
Saw dermatologist and she gave me Elidel 1% cream 2x's a day it cleared it up. I saw ENT about phlegm and he diagnosed beginning of cellulitis and have me bacterium and prednisone. All clear now. Thank you for your comments, they really help me.
I am 20 weeks out now and eating selective foods. If I can keep my weight up for 1 month I get my tube out early July.
Larry, it sounds like you have been doing very well with your recovery. PEG removal is a huge accomplishment. I really hope you can ditch the tube next month!

Remember to keep your calories up so you dont drop any weight. You still need at least 2500 calories every single day until you hit the first year mark at the earliest. If you can take more in that will help boost your recovery, as will high protein whey powder. Make sure you check this with your doc.

Best wishes with your continued improvements smile
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum