Posted By: Dragan Things may finally be swinging my way??? - 07-22-2014 02:18 AM
Like many others, As the years have passed since treatment, I've developed a myriad of different medical issues that are treatment related, and most of them unresolved.

There are a wide variety of reasons they have not been resolved; lack of expertise, lack of willingness on the part of a hospital to take a risk, Politics, funding, etc. etc.; all valid to varying degrees and all leaving me where I started, only a bit more frustrated. Compounding the problem; four years ago my wife was transferred from where I was treated, to another much smaller city, in a part of Canada that has much less expertise in Cancer treatment and long term care afterwards.

The only saving grace? Some of you "old timers" will recall my cousin, the oral surgeon, who has played such an important role in my treatment and recovery....his practice is located close to where we now live instead of six hours away.

For the past four years, he has tirelessly fought on my behalf, pulling strings, getting me in to see this Doctor or that...trying to make some of these issues more tolerable.

Shortly after we arrived in the Province, The Government introduced a program for oral cancer survivors with 5 or more years survival. Once qualified, the Government would pay for up to $75,000 worth or restorative dental work, including implants, and permanent teeth. Like many, I'd lost the majority of my teeth during my initial surgery, and radiation had taken it's toll on the remainder.

Of course, nothing "Free" is ever truly without cost; the same rule applied here. First and foremost; residency. We had to be residents for two years before applying, so that immediately meant the idea had to be back-burnered for 18 months.

Once we reached the two year mark, we began the application and qualification process. Weeks turned into months, months into years. Examinations, forms, reviews, new examinations...does that sound familiar to anyone?

After nearly two additional years, we'd almost given up hope. We hadn't heard anything in months, and to further complicate things, my wife was told that she was being promoted, and we were being transferred BACK to our long-time home by September 1st.

I pretty much threw my hands up in dismay...all of that effort, and nothing to show for it....that is, until 10 days ago. My cousin called to tell me that he had me scheduled for July 23...For what, I asked....

He had just gotten off of the phone; My application had been approved, and he had been given authorization to proceed. He had vacation scheduled for this week, so he had nothing scheduled except some time relaxing at his cottage. Instead, he booked everything, and scheduled me for surgery Wednesday afternoon.

I'm thrilled, of course. Implant work in Canada is seldom covered to any meaningful level by insurance, so this is a HUGE deal for me from a financial standpoint. At the same time...I have a sense of foreboding. This will be another extensive surgery; he's expecting 5-6 hours. 14 extractions, implanting an "appliance" along the bone graft to increase the stabilization since I've experienced a lot of resorption in that area. At least 8 implant anchors placed within the radiation field....a bunch of other complicating factors. This will not be a procedure with much tolerance for error; it will either be completely successful, or a near catastrophic failure that would, at the very least result in going back onto a PEG, permanently.

I have complete confidence in his ability; what concerns me is the unexpected. There are just so many small things that could go wrong, and if any of them do, it'll be a failure.

I'm struggling to remain optimistic and pragmatic about it all. I'm not in a great place physically, and without intervention very quickly, these problems will become game-changers within months; this is really the best opportunity I've had for a long, long time.

I'm still concerned though, and I won't deny there is a fear factor there too.
If I may beg your indulgence...keep your fingers crossed that it all goes well on Wednesday morning for me, would you?
Posted By: Uptown Re: Things may finally be swinging my way??? - 07-22-2014 03:26 AM
My fingers and toes even are crossed for you. Wishing nothing but the best possible outcome for you!
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Things may finally be swinging my way??? - 07-22-2014 05:22 AM
I too send you many, many positive vibes and thoughts.
I hope that all this will go well without any further problems.
Tammy
Posted By: donfoo Re: Things may finally be swinging my way??? - 07-22-2014 07:15 AM
Good luck. Sounds like a pretty involved procedure. Send the pic when you bite into a huge juicy rib eye!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Things may finally be swinging my way??? - 07-22-2014 12:35 PM
Wow, that's a good news bad news story if there ever was one. GOOD LUCK!
Posted By: n74tg Re: Things may finally be swinging my way??? - 07-30-2014 11:38 AM
Good luck with the surgery, after so much wait, your time for positives has arrived.

Send that picture of you eating steak to me too.

Tony
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Things may finally be swinging my way??? - 07-30-2014 04:05 PM
Congrats!!!! You are so fortunate to have your cousin helping to get this past all the hurdles. What perseverance they showed with this. Now thats what I call a true advocate for their patient!

Best of luck with your procedure. Hope it works even better than you are expecting.
Posted By: BrianPK Re: Things may finally be swinging my way??? - 08-01-2014 02:01 PM
Good Luck! With so many chances of things to go wrong in the past 5 years, yet they went well. The same outcome will likely be on your side again. Enjoy the new smile smile
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum