Posted By: NonaChris Shoulder pins and needles...parathesia? - 07-21-2014 11:30 PM
I have not been on for quite awhile but I know there is someone here who will give me some insight. About3-6 months ago I started having what feels very much like pins and needles in my right shoulder. It was very consistent and mostly at bedtime at first. The feeling would feel like it grew across the shoulder and then it would "shimmer" down into my upper chest/arm area. My medical status has been all positive although my dentist questioned an area on my tongue at my last dental check up but when my oral surgeon evaluated it was not identified as a concern.
So, if anyone has experienced this or knowledge of this type of after treatment issue I would be interested in hearing from you.
I have an appointment with a doctor from Moss Rehab but wanted to check in here with all you, the experts!
Posted By: PaulB Re: Shoulder pins and needles...parathesia? - 07-22-2014 02:16 AM
There can be different causes for this, and don't know if mine is the same, but I have neuropathy in the hands, legs, feet for years since chemo, and limited arm/ shoulder mobility from my neck dissections that followed. More recently, my left arm/hand have increased numbness, pins and needles, barely any mobility, and pain/numbness in the deltoids, upper chest on the left side, which I haven't had before. My Oncologist referred me to a neurologist, and physical therapy when it was only slight, and my ENT requested an MRI to rule out any recurrence, which came back clear. My surgeon is thinking "Brachial Plexopathy." I think removal of my carotid may being involved too, and is when some of my recent symptoms started. I haven't seen the neurologist yet, but that's where I stand, so not much of an answer myself. I needed something for the pain, and Percocet, Gabapentin and an anti-inflammatory cream, Voltaren, is helping.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paresthesia

Good luck.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Shoulder pins and needles...parathesia? - 07-22-2014 03:22 AM
As Paul says, the brachial plexus nerve bundle is most likely the cause. Everything branches to the chest and arms from there. I believe it is very treatable and managed, although, not so with any clipped nerves from surgery. They can heal but it takes years. I was diagnosed with brachial plexopathy and after trying many medications, I went a different route using a specialized neurological chiropractor. I wouldn't suggest this route if you aren't very active. One thing to watch for is progressive difficulty breathing as the nerves through the chest are key to breathing.
Posted By: NonaChris Re: Shoulder pins and needles...parathesia? - 07-22-2014 11:19 AM
I knew you would come through although we know finding out it is one more thing is not a true positive but it certainly helps to put a face on this feeling.
I am active, a regular yoga practictioner which does require use of my brachial area. I did not have a peg or any other alternative feeding method but I lost a good 20 pounds. I recently implemented Joel Furhman's nutritional eating program and this has really made a difference in my over all physiology. I think the shoulder has had limited improvement since I first noticed it. Initially there was pain but it has gone away. I now understand it will take time and still I hear in your answer Uptown it could actually worsen...mentally I will set my mind to stopping it from interfering with my progress. I think the consistent use in yoga practice may be warding off the addition of true pain...I just find it totally annoying that when I get to bed each night it comes on like gangbusters most of the time.
You are both a true resource for knowledge with your head and neck treatments and experiences. I thank you from my heart for your willingness to share!
Posted By: travelottie Re: Shoulder pins and needles...parathesia? - 07-22-2014 11:43 AM
To add to the confusion, recently my husband has had several episodes of tingling that start on face, cheek, then corner of lip, arm, with decreased fine motor control of fingers. It is transient (several seconds to minutes), one side at a time, but strangely has occurred bilaterally.

Neurology exams & scans (CT & MRI) are negative. Does not have symptoms of stroke during episodes (hand strength, drooping mouth, etc.) Has had neuropathy since chemo, but this is new. I could write more....

Obviously, I'm not looking for a dx here, but I also am wondering if this has happened to anyone else post tx.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Shoulder pins and needles...parathesia? - 07-22-2014 12:15 PM
I have had that from head to toe, travleottie. It is well studied but not well understood. I could bore you with years of details but the real key is improving blood flow while periodically checking calcium levels. There are many early intervention possibilities but with me, I was too little, too late. I don't know if I can reverse it or stop it, but I certainly have managed it beyond anything doctors thought was medically possible.

I was curled up in a ball, unable to sit up or stand up because there were no muscles left and it hurt from nerve pain head to toe. I emerged from hospice care and have put back 30% more body weight and mostly muscle. I just retired the last of the machines that helped me regain body functions.

Blood flow, removing nerve impingement, diet, cardio work, light resistance work and stretching are all part of the complex puzzle. It is a full-time job but it's working as long as I want it to. 5 days of nothing causes muscles to start shriveling up again.

Statistical outlooks given by several of my doctors says about 1/2 of 1% will get to the point of no return after radiation above 45 Gy to the upper chest to the ears. That would be maybe 30-40 people a year for our group. Numbers are only historical calculations based on what happened and not necessarily what will be.

Be well...but be diligent.
Posted By: NonaChris Re: Shoulder pins and needles...parathesia? - 07-23-2014 12:24 PM
Uptown, sheer will and determination is on your side...do you have support, family, etc? I know much of what keeps me going is the thought of those who care about me and of more importance who I want to be here for.
The gift that keeps on giving has certainly taken on a whole new meaning...it saves and then stealthily tests to see if you really want to continue on.
I have read in posts about the discovery of white patches and then to read these patches can be nothing at first or appear to be non-cancerous only to be what looks like months or years later to be scc.
Was there pain, any other symptoms to say this is cancer? Was the dentist involved?
Very curious...my dentist has not gained my confidence. Still seeing my head and neck team very 4 months. Thanks to anyone wanting to share wink
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Shoulder pins and needles...parathesia? - 07-23-2014 05:26 PM
I think the white patches you are referring to are most commonly known as either dysplasia or leukoplakia. These white (sometimes red) patches do not always turn into oral cancer but sometimes as time goes by, they will. There are many other non cancerous patches that can happen in a healthy person's mouth. Because of this, its important to get any sore or patch checked by a professional (qualified ENT) if it has not healed on its own in 2 or 3 weeks.

Patients are all different. Some will experience pain while others have no pain or any symptoms at all.

As far as dentist go, not all dentists are familiar with identifying or treating oral cancer or patients with oral cancer. Many dentists have never even seen an oral cancer tumor and do not know what to look for. This is due to not always continuing their education. Often dentists focus only on the teeth ignoring anything else in the mouth. This is why a dentist is not the best place to go for an abnormality in your mouth. Its best to seek out a qualified ENT who specializes in oral cancer. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Best wishes!
Posted By: NonaChris Re: Shoulder pins and needles...parathesia? - 07-24-2014 12:57 AM
Thanks for your response Christine.
I am curious since you are in PA not far from where I am, do you recommend or know of an ENT? I have had some other recommendations but one doctor had me waiting in his office for over 2 hours. I think that was unreasonable.
I do understand about the white patches being benign but when does one know it is truly something to act on? I don't want to be running to the doctor unless it is truly warranted. My surgeon said the cancer is usually red, bleeding area. Is there pain? The surgeon said, no.
Just want to be as clear as I can and be proactive about prevention as Much as I possibly can.
Thanks!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Shoulder pins and needles...parathesia? - 07-24-2014 02:23 AM
I will send you a PM.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Shoulder pins and needles...parathesia? - 07-24-2014 10:19 AM
[quote=NonaChris]Uptown, sheer will and determination is on your side...do you have support, family, etc? [/quote]

When I see it from my eyes, it wasn't as rough for me as many others had it. I'm sure they all feel the same. It's only as hard as you make it; it's only as easy as you make it. None of us believes we do anything except what it takes. I may only be speaking for myself, but we find the strength we never thought we would have and we emerge on the other side of the speed bumps.

Things may look scary from the newness, but that goes away after a couple exposures to the same thing. It all becomes somewhat redundant and easier to manage.
Posted By: NonaChris Re: Shoulder pins and needles...parathesia? - 07-25-2014 12:56 AM
Let go and let life happen. I guess rolling with the punches fits. I am thinking I want to avoid the possibility of a right hook. I can take it but I'd rather not. I do believe there is a plan in place and there is little I can do to control it. I just get lost sometimes. Your strength is awesome!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum