Posted By: homershoney new to board...hello - 11-20-2009 05:31 AM
i am new to the board, and am introducing myself.
my husband has undifferentiated neoplasm of the nasopharynx with squamous cell carcinoma, aka nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) stage 4. he has already completed 3 rounds of chemo. has a port, is scheduled to get the PEG. his 7 weeks of radiation starts dec 1.
he handled the chemo quite well, compared to others, although each round got harder and harder.
does anyone else have NPC???
GOD bless!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: new to board...hello - 11-20-2009 01:27 PM
Honey,

Sorry that you both are dealing with this cancer but you have found the best site in the world to help you both get through this Tx and recovery.

The rad potentially has some nasty side effects that include loss of taste and saliva certainly depending upon the radiation field. Most of us also lost a ton a weight so if he can, encourage him to eat eat eat and then eat some more until the effects of the rad kick in. I also wouldn't worry about what I was eating either.

What chemo did they start with?

Are they planning more with the radiation?

Please don't hesitate to ask or share anything 24/7. You can also rant and rave as you see fit as we have all been there and done it.
Posted By: homershoney Re: new to board...hello - 11-20-2009 10:31 PM
thank u for ur response.

his cocktail was 5-FU, cisplatin, and docetaxel. he will start radiation nov 30 (35) and once a week chemo.

some stats: T2N2bM1 stage 4. 43 @ dx NPC + SCC, port, PEG.

his primary tumor is in his nasopharyngeal tonsil (top of throat-behind nose)-non operable. The other tumors are in his lymph nodes and nasal passages.

his pinpoint rad will be in his throat area.

since he lost approx 30 lbs thru chemo, i have been trying sooooo hard to fatten him up now, he has put on 7 lbs, i have put on 15 (grrrrrrrr). he was 6'3" 230, now is 207. he is pretty lean right now. i am hoping Thanksgiving Day will help him along too.

i am sure i will be a frequent poster.

he had another PET scan today, we will get the results monday. oncologist wanted this done before rads started.

thanks again!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: new to board...hello - 11-21-2009 02:19 AM
Be careful of the Cisplatin as it can cause permanent high frequency hearing loss. If he hears "ringing in his ears" tell his MO immediately.
Posted By: walknlite Re: new to board...hello - 11-21-2009 09:22 AM
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place for support and encouragement. Like David said feel free to rant and rave. I have done my fair share of it. I will be starting my radiations and chemo right after Thanksgiving as well. Keep us posted on how your husband is doing and how you are holding up as well. This crud effects everyone not just the patients.
Posted By: tristeve Re: new to board...hello - 11-23-2009 02:11 AM
welcome to the forum. There is tons of great info here. Make sure you look at the topic pull down and search.

good luck, we are with you two

STEVE
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum