Posted By: Robert Lenz Treatment Failed - 09-25-2009 09:06 AM
My wife who is 41, has gone through Chemo, Radiation, surgery and post surgery Erbitux
for Toungue cancer. Cancer has recurred back
to primary and in her lungs. Does anyone know
of an alternative treatment that has been used
with a positive outcome since we have exhausted
all traditional forms of treatment?
Posted By: EzJim Re: Treatment Failed - 09-25-2009 11:02 AM
Robert, you will have some helpful information before the day is over I would bet. It's kind of early in the forums yet but your wife and you have my prayers and bset wishes.
Posted By: Cookey Re: Treatment Failed - 09-25-2009 05:38 PM
Hi Robert
i am so sorry to hear about the tough time you and your wife are having.I am just wondering what sort of alternative treatments you were thinking of.I dont know if there is anyone here who has gone down that root with much success but i may be wrong.what are her doctors advising?
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Treatment Failed - 09-25-2009 06:26 PM
Robert,

Where have you gotten opinions?

Have you tried a CCC? http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Treatment Failed - 09-25-2009 06:47 PM
My surgeon is fond of saying that there are always options. I might not want them - but there are always options. You really should go to a cancer center and possibly look into more radiation or chemo? I have had radiation twice - once to each side of my head/neck, so perhaps that combined with additional chemo might do the trick?

You really do need a second opinion. Good luck and we're thinking of you.

Donna
Posted By: boatswife Re: Treatment Failed - 09-25-2009 07:05 PM
You both have been through a lot. I can only back up getting a second opinion.

Please know that we're all thinking of you.
Posted By: Eileen Re: Treatment Failed - 09-25-2009 09:33 PM
Rather than looking for alternative treatments which will not work and will just take your money, I would get a second opinion at a CCC and also see if there are any clinical trials that she might qualify for. Just a thought.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: Treatment Failed - 09-25-2009 11:08 PM
Listen to everyone above and get a 2nd opinion ASAP and get it at a CCC. Sorry to hear about this. GOD speed. Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Treatment Failed - 09-25-2009 11:56 PM
Hi Robert and welcome to OCF. I have to agree with the others. A lot of us have all more than one opinion. You never know what another doctor is going to say.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Treatment Failed - 09-25-2009 11:59 PM
Clinical trials are probably your best bet. the NIH has a web page listing them and you can see if any are near you or if your wife qualifies. NIH clinical trials
I am afraid most "alternative treatments" end up just like Farah Faucett's televised jaunt to Germany: initial promise of a cure but same results as "standard treatment". Our sympathy. I know how depressing it is to have the cancer come back, but I also had the "maximum" radiation the first time plus Erbitux and then this second time had even more radiation and cisplatin plus surgery. good luck
Posted By: TomT Re: Treatment Failed - 09-26-2009 01:25 AM
Hi Robert, we are in a very similar circumstance. We found out in April that my wife's cancer had spread to several areas, including her lungs. So far she has been in a clinical trial of Cisplatin and Alimta. She did well with that for several treatments before the tumors started increasing in size. Since then she has had several other rounds of chemo and are waiting for new scans and a plan next week. We were told there were several other clinical trials that were opening up. I can't vouch for if any of them do any good but they seem to follow up more intensely and it feels better to be trying to throw everything possible at this stuff. I would also suggest getting a second opinion, I know I am still trying to get Pam to take a trip to the cancer center in Houston.

You and your wife will be in our prayers. If you don't mind, please keep posting with your progress. I am sure there are many more like us that are fighting through this and can use any positive results from treatments and are willing to try to provide support as you go through the battle.
Posted By: walknlite Re: Treatment Failed - 09-26-2009 02:52 AM
Hi Robert, I wish I had some information for you. just know that you and your wife will be in my prayers. I do agree with all the other posters about getting a second opinion, and going to a CCC. Keep us updated.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum