Posted By: Anonymous Hello from The Communications Manager at OCF - 03-27-2009 05:37 PM
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself to all of you.

My name is Megan Cannon and I am the new Communications Manager here at OCF. (For those of you that knew Brittany, I am her replacement : ) she has moved on to fulfill her dreams in environmental science). So here at OCF its my job to spread awareness of Oral Cancer to the general public and focusing especially to the young adult population. In all honesty, before I took this position I had no idea of the link between Oral Cancer and HPV. Now I know that this effects me too, a young woman who is smoke and tobacco free! I want everyone else to know too and demand an Oral Cancer screening on the regular from their dentists. I feel very passionate about my new position and I will do everything in my power to make a difference.

In order to get the word out, I plan to come up with creative ways to grasp the attention of the public. We have a few things up our sleeves that I will keep you all updated with as they happen. I would also love to hear from all of you! If there is anything that you would like to see happen please contact me. You can either leave me a thread here or send me a direct email: [email protected] I am also in the OCF office Monday-Friday from 8:30- 4:30 PST and my direct line is: 949-723-4400.

I look forward to meeting all of you and assisting your needs in any way.

Believe,

Megan

P.S.- For those of you that are in to social networking, we are on Twitter, Myspace & Facebook. Please add OCF as your friend!

TWITTER page:
http://twitter.com/oralcancerfnd

Myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/oralcancerfoundation

Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newport-Beach-CA/The-Oral-Cancer-Foundation/71652992791?ref=ts

(In addition to this group, add our FB page! This will appear on your profile so you can help us spread awareness more!)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newport-Beach-CA/The-Oral-Cancer-Foundation/71652992791?ref=mf

Join all the fun!!!!

megan,

Welcome.

If you ever need any input from a dentist and oral cancer survivor, please feel free to contact me.

I hope you got my email asking for the pin to wear to the NYC walk on April 18th.

Jerry
Welcome Megan - we like your enthusiasm - now get to work!
Jane smile
Megan
Welcome...I guess, as Jim says, we like it here but, wish we never found the place.
There are so many wonderful people that hang out, offer advice and perspective here to help others that it never gets boring.

We're all in your corner.

Mike
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hello from The Communications Manager at OCF - 04-20-2009 05:52 PM
The wheels are turning! We are continuing to work on new things here at OCF and as we progress Ill be blogging along the way. See for yourself:
www.theothersideoforalcancer.blogspot.com
Posted By: EzJim Re: Hello from The Communications Manager at OCF - 04-21-2009 01:49 AM
Megan, I just want to let you know that my brochures arrived today, Thank you and have a good day tomorrow.
Hi Megan,

I just added your blog to my feeds. Great job.

It was great to speak with you last Friday. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Jerry
Hi Megan

Joined in on blogspot...

thanks

Kevin
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hello from The Communications Manager at OCF - 04-24-2009 07:34 PM
Thanks Kevin!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hello from The Communications Manager at OCF - 04-27-2009 11:46 PM
Thanks for your support Jerry!
Just added OCF as my friend on facebook.
Hi Megan,
Just received the brochures today for Ron's fundraiser. Thank you so much! If we help one person it will all be worth it. I noticed on your blog that you were reading other Oral Cancer blogs. I have one about Ron's journey, too. It is:

http://www.ronswife.com

Thanks again,
Lori
Megan, just joined this wonderful site.
I think it's imperative that we get the word out there about the epidemic of oral cancer especially in nonsmokers and non drinkers who are probably HPV+.
I think educating the public is essential but I think it's critical that the medical professionals be enlightened about this cancer and it;s symptoms.
The survival statistics are abysmal because I believe there is a delay in timely diagnosis. My husband had symtoms of oral cancer for over a year(sore throat and ear pain) saw 2 different ENT's for several months and they failed to diagnose him.
So, I think we need to get the word out there to the ENT's and dentists about this cancer.
Tx
nancy
Posted By: EzJim Re: Hello from The Communications Manager at OCF - 08-07-2009 07:55 PM
Nancy, this has been going on. We take phamlets to Dentist offices, to waiting rooms in Hospitals, Dr offices and just about everywhere. No one has any grass growing under their shoes for sure. Good thinking tho.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hello from The Communications Manager at OCF - 10-06-2009 04:37 PM
For those of you who are unaware, OCF has a YouTube page with video messages from Blythe Danner, Jack Klugman, and just released yesterday- a message from me about the link between HPV and oral cancer. This is the first of three YouTube videos we will release by next year in which I will discuss the risk factors of oral cancer. Please take a look, make a comment, and spread the word!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OralCancerFoundation
It's a great video and I have it listed on my site already!
Hummmm I wonder why Brian didn't want me to do this video? lol

Lets hope it gets tons of views.

Great job Megan
Posted By: EzJim Re: Hello from The Communications Manager at OCF - 10-06-2009 10:19 PM
Megan, this is great work for all 3 . Hopefully, hundreds of thousands will view it worldwide.
The YouTube video is a great idea and you did a terrific job!! I'm glad to hear there are more planned. I will certainly use the videos to help spread the word!
I have gotten responses from several of my friends and relatives. They are passing on the link to all their contacts.

Thanks for doing a great job.

Jerry
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hello from The Communications Manager at OCF - 10-09-2009 06:46 PM
Thank you all for the nice compliments! I also sent this video out to all of my friends and family and have received nothing but great feedback! Almost everyone I sent the video to had no idea of the link between HPV & oral cancer. Most hardly knew anything about HPV on it's own. This information NEEDS to get out to the public!
Amazingly wonderful video. I have passed the link on to many an dhave heard nothing but great comments. Well done.

Donna
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum