Posted By: Robert_E Seattle Intro - 12-09-2007 11:00 PM
Hello folks.

I'm Robert. I've been reading through the forums and felt it was time to introduce myself.

In September I was diagnosed with a stage IV throat cancer that started at the base of my tongue. I had been completely asymptomatic prior to a lymph swelling up.

I had surgery 10/30 to remove a 4cm tumor from my neck plus lymph nodes and fatty tissue. It was agreed a resection could be avoided with a sucessful course of chemo & radiation.

I'm just about to start my third week of chemo/radiation.

I'm glad I found someplace that lets me know I'm not alone in this.
Posted By: Stoj Re: Seattle Intro - 12-09-2007 11:17 PM
Robert,

Welcome, glad you found us but sorry you are here. Godspeed on your journey and if you need any help please don't hesitate to ask. There are plenty here who will help.

Tim
Posted By: JeffL Re: Seattle Intro - 12-09-2007 11:35 PM
Welcome, Robert. Not the club that was probably at the top of your list to join, but it is a great group.

Your diagnosis and treatment plan is almost identical to mine. Neck node was somewhat smaller, but otherwise the same. Was your neck dissection on one side or bilateral? How large is the primary?

I am now 5 months out from treatment end, and go back to the CCC for a follow up visit in the morning. Keep us in the loop, and please do not hesitate to ask for help or information.
Posted By: mhupe Re: Seattle Intro - 12-10-2007 01:37 AM
Welcome to a new Seattle friend. I adore Seattle and would love to find myself living on that side of the country some day.

My husband had base of tongue cancer too, it was a rough go for him of RT and chemo. But, he made it through. Family, friends his treatment team and this board made it possible. Had I felt isolated and alone, this journey would have been significantly harder.

He is 4 months post treatment and doing great!!!! Every week there are huge improvements!

We're here for you. Let us know if you have questions or concerns. Come visit and share often. It's such a great community!

All the best!
Posted By: Robert_E Re: Seattle Intro - 12-10-2007 02:38 AM
Thanks all.

No, this was the last thing I was thinking of doing with my life

Jeff my neck surgery wasn't a resection. The tumor that was removed was the mastasis. The primary is at the base of my tongue and SCC tumor size is really hard to judge from scans.

I've been blessed to have a huge support group to get me through this.
Posted By: JeffL Re: Seattle Intro - 12-10-2007 12:03 PM
Robert --

Yours is exactly the same as my situation, primary at the base of the tongue and metastasis to the lymph node. The surgery you had for the lymph node is technically called a neck dissection. I was just wondering if they did only one side of your neck, or both sides.
Posted By: aussieh Re: Seattle Intro - 12-10-2007 05:10 PM
Welcome Robert

You've found a compassionate and knowledgeable group of new friends to help you through. We understand what you are experiencing both physically and emotionally.

Ask all your small and large questions here and someone will offer support.

Wishing you well with your treatment. Love from Helen.
Posted By: emmylou1951 Re: Seattle Intro - 12-10-2007 11:03 PM
Hello Robert, and a big welcome to OCF! Let us know how we can help you...here we are!

Best of luck with your chemo and radiation...we'll be thinking of you during this most difficult time..........

Lois & Buzz in NC
Posted By: Robert_E Re: Seattle Intro - 12-11-2007 02:10 AM
Thank you Helen, Lois and Buzz.

Thank you Jeff for clarifying that for me. Too many terms and such so fast.

I only had lymph nodes removed from the right side of my neck and shoulder.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Seattle Intro - 12-11-2007 05:59 PM
Robert

Welcome to the best support group possible.
How old are you?
Were you a smoker?
Were you more than a casual drinker?
Posted By: Cookey Re: Seattle Intro - 12-11-2007 06:25 PM
OMG David!!!!

so good to see you.

Welcome Robert you are very honoured.David was the first person to greet me nearly a year ago.

He talks straight from the hip so when he gives you advice.....listen.

liz
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Seattle Intro - 12-11-2007 06:42 PM
Robert - you sure have found the right place to be!! And, David - Wow! I was beginning to wonder where you were and how you were doing!! So glad to see you back again! Your posts were always the ones I based my son's progress on since his Tx was about 4 months behind yours and your advice was always right on target!
Posted By: Carol L Re: Seattle Intro - 12-11-2007 06:49 PM
Robert, I wanted to welcome you, although I would much rather you hadn't had to find us, this is a wonderful, supportive group of people.....please keep posting......Carol
Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: Seattle Intro - 12-11-2007 10:30 PM
Robert,
Welcome, like Jeff, I'm sure there are many other welcomes you have recieved and, for that matter, wanted to recieve.
This is a top quality site for OC.
If you feel I am able to offer any help to you please feel free to contact me anytime.

Cheers,

Mike
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum