Posted By: AdeleE PET Scan - 10-23-2007 05:14 PM
I hope this is not a stupid question, but it is one that I really don't know the answer too. I have had CT Scans and MRI's but never a PET Scan.
What is the difference between them and should I be looking into having one?
Thanks, Adele
Posted By: Leslie B Re: PET Scan - 10-23-2007 06:07 PM
The difference is explained here , about two-thirds of the way down the page.

PET scans can result in false positives -- what "lights up" on a PET scan may be a simple inflammation, rather than cancer. In addition, patients are often told not to exercise in the 24 hours before a PET scan for the same reason, as a muscle recovering from exercise will show a higher uptake of glucose than a muscle that is rested.

The main part of the Oral Cancer Foundation site has hundreds and hundreds of pages of useful information. The search link is at the very bottom of every message board page (in gold letters, next to Site Map).

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Leslie
Posted By: Markus Re: PET Scan - 10-24-2007 12:34 PM
Even excessive talking and chewing before the scan increases the possibility for of positives.

M
Posted By: JetAgeHobo Re: PET Scan - 10-25-2007 10:11 AM
Hi Adele

My doc's use PET/CT as usual test for follow-ups, I've had them at least twice a year for the last 4 years.

While they are a good indicator of "activity" I've also had them show joint damage, infection, and for the first year or two residual healing from the radiation. Main thing is it takes a talented radiologist to interpret the results. Once you get them done a couple of times, the radiologist can check back on previous tests and see what's changed or not changed.

I once made the mistake of doing the test right after having a real bad head cold, you should have seen the films light up then!!! Come to think of it, I've had about 9 or 10, PET/CT's, and none of them really came back "normal"

Bob
Posted By: EzJim Re: PET Scan - 10-25-2007 08:26 PM
This is the 1st time I heard not to exercise before a PET Scan and I had 2 in a month. I learn something everyday in here. I'll have to remember this just incase. I have another CT Scan in Dec and hope it's the last for awhile.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum