Posted By: lynn999 New member here - 10-22-2007 01:15 PM
Hi I am Lynn and am a 48 year old Nurse from Coverntry in the UK.

I was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the left tonsill in July this year.

Since them I have had a left toncillectomy and excision of palate, a left sided neck dissection, insertion of PEG tube, 35 doses of radiotherapy and 2 doses of Cisplatin poisoning. I finished treatment on 19th October and am now waiting to heal.
Posted By: brenfran25 Re: New member here - 10-22-2007 04:03 PM
Welcome Lynn--nice to have another Brit on here!
No doubt you will have been reading posts and seen that there are many more with same diagnosis to yours.

Everyone here is very helpful and I'm sure if you've questions, they will be more than happy to answer them!

Brenda
Posted By: Cookey Re: New member here - 10-22-2007 05:13 PM
Hi Lynne and welcome from another Brit

There are a few of us about on this site!!!

Glad all is going ok keep us up to speed on your progress

liz
Posted By: helen.c Re: New member here - 10-22-2007 05:56 PM
Lynn
Hi we will soon be able to have a Brit only section.
Hope your road to recovery runs smoothly.
Sunshine.. love and hugs
Helen
Posted By: sharlee Re: New member here - 10-22-2007 06:46 PM
Hello Lynn

from Across the Pond as they say !!! I know that you will be able to find much information and support on here to help you on your road to recovery !! HUGSSSS across the way 11

Shar
Posted By: emmylou1951 Re: New member here - 10-22-2007 07:55 PM
Howdy from the Southeastern coast of the US! Welcome to OCF! We're glad to have you, and look forward to getting to know you better.

Lois & Buzz in NC
Posted By: Talbill Re: New member here - 10-22-2007 09:18 PM
Hi Lynn, welcome to the site from a "yank". If you are half the fun as these other Brits get ready for some good laughs. This is a great place for answers to any of your questions and to have some fun. May you heal quickly. smile
Posted By: Cookey Re: New member here - 10-23-2007 12:30 AM
Awww Bill who knows one day all us brits might just jump in a "chara" and take a road trip round the US to meet all you amazing lovely people.I'll drive all you old crocks Bren wink

love Liz
Posted By: aussieh Re: New member here - 10-23-2007 03:23 AM
Welcome from down under, Lynn. Sorry you have had to go through all the treatment. In my case I had surgery and radiation, no chemo. Nearly 5 years and I'm doing fine.

Love from Helen
Posted By: AdeleE Re: New member here - 10-23-2007 08:49 AM
Welcome Lynn,
You have come to the right place! Now let the healing begin!
Born in London moved to Canada in 1970.
Best Regards,
Adele
Posted By: Me2 Re: New member here - 10-23-2007 09:59 AM
Hi Lynn - glad you are done with the treatments! I have to chime in here as I am a "closet" Brit - born in Luton, my family came over to the U.S. when I was a small child but all my other relatives are still there!
Posted By: Splenda Re: New member here - 10-23-2007 11:36 AM
Welcome Lynn!

I hope you find this website as helpful as it has been to me. I have learned so much and the people are so supportive.

I am a 56 year old Nurse, and I had my right upper jaw and partial palate removed 26 months ago, with a 30 day course of radiation. I just received the results of
my PET scan last Sat., and I am cancer-free. I am so relieved!

How are you feeling? I know that you just finished treatment, and it takes time to heal.
Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Carol
Posted By: lynn999 Re: New member here - 10-23-2007 03:35 PM
Thanks to all you fellow Brits and others for your welcome.
I have been to the USA a few times but only to New York (once), Las Vegas (once) and Florida (11 times my favorite place)

I am struggling at the moment with the dreaded 'thick' secretions which alternatively choke me and make me sick, its probably the worst thing about this. GRrrrrrr.

Love
Lynn
Posted By: JAM Re: New member here - 10-23-2007 10:13 PM
Hi, Lynn, I can't tell from your signature exactly when[if] your radiation has ended, but the secretions are a struggle for lots of people. What are you getting to help deal with them? Can you get a portable suction machine? It helped my husband alot. Hope the peg is helping you maintain your ideal weight. Please let us know any other issues you want to have addressed as there is lots of experience here. Amy in the Ozarks
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum