Posted By: Dusty New member; husband with cancer of the tongue - 10-21-2007 09:44 PM
Hi.

My husband, Pete (aged 63) was diagnosed with Stage I cancer of the tongue in April 2007. He had surgery on May 1, and because there were abnormal cells deeper into the margins than originally thought he received six grueling weeks of radiation. He received good follow-up appts with both the radiation oncologist and the ENT who performed the original surgery. His pain level also seemed to be diminishing, he lowered his pain medication doses substantially, and his eating/swallowing seemed to be improving each week. Following his follow-up with the ENT he seemed to have an increase in his pain level of the surgical site while eating and swallowing often radiating into his ear. After approx. 2 weeks of little relief, we rescheduled an appt. with the ENT who again could see nothing abnormal and felt the pain was related to scar tissue. Last week I scheduled an appt. with our family physician (also a family friend) for Tues. 10/23 as I am very concerned about this situation. In the meantime, my husband has noticed another hard lump on his tongue right near the surgical site, which he originally said was unlike his original lump as it was not painful to the touch. However, as of this morning he said the lump is painful when he presses on it. I receive allergy shots on Mondays at the ENT office and hope to have him recheck my husband tomorrow morning, but in the meantime I am flipping out!!! I really could use someone to talk to. . . thanks for listening!
Hi Dusty
its easy to say dont worry because it goes with the territory,so instead i will say good luck,i will be thinking of you and let us know how it goes.

love liz
Posted By: Nelie Re: New member; husband with cancer of the tongue - 10-22-2007 07:58 AM
Dusty, I understand your concern and hope for you and Pete that this turns out to be some other kind of irritation, not any kind of recurrence.

Nelie
Dusty,
I hope for the best for you and your husband.
Mariam
Dusty: DO keep us posted as to Pete's progress. We really do care!
We're all pulling for the BOTH of you!

Lois & Buzz in NC
Hi Dusty,
I pray it's nothing. BUT, if it is cancer again..........know that he can do what needs to be done. I'm in the middle of my second round with this cancer and I can firmly say that we are all stronger than we think.

Keep us posted.
Minnie
Hi Dusty,

I'll be hoping for the best. Please let us know how Pete's Doctor's appt. goes today. My thoughts are with both of you- Carol
Dusty, by now I am hoping that you have gotten some medical advice and are on your way to knowing what's going on. I hopehopehope that all is ok. There is so much that goes on after these surgeries that it is hard to know what is important and what is "normal." (What IS normal??? I guess I mean "the NEW Normal." Nerves are funny things. They don't like to be interfered with. I hope that they are simply letting you know. Please check back with us to let us know. We are gonna worry until you do.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum