Posted By: siestasan Introduction - 09-27-2007 02:02 PM
Hi. My name is Joe. I am a 62 y o male diagnosed with stage IV squamous cell carcinoma base tongue cancer. Had the radical surgery to remove 2/3 of my tongue and all the lymph nodes on the left side of my neck. They removed tissue from my chest to reconstruct and reconnect the tongue base. Had chemo treatments prior to surgery and radiation treatments during and after surgery.
Had feeding tube inserted during surgery.
It has been a long and hard journey, but this January will mark my 5th year of no cancer. Except for some lymphoma that I contacted this past year. Had chemo for it also and it looks as though the treatments have worked for that also.
If anyone needs help with questions please feel free to contact me.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Introduction - 09-27-2007 05:38 PM
Welcome Joe from another 62 year old survivor.

Congratulations as you approach your 5 year anniversary. I just love to see long term survivors join us to give support and hope to those that are just starting out.

It sounds like you have been through some very tough times, but your attitude and success show what perseverance can accomplish. If you keep checking back here, you will certainly be a great source of information for many.

Jerry
Posted By: siestasan Re: Introduction - 09-27-2007 05:56 PM
Jerry,
Thanks! With the proper support from family and friends, one can endure. I also give a great amount of credit to an outstanding oncologist, Dr. Schuller from OSU James Cancer hospital. Plus, I belive God has been on my side as well.
I will be here often, and will help others as much as I can.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Introduction - 09-27-2007 09:29 PM
Jerry, I had Dr Ozer for an oncologist at James Cancer Center. I know you had the best . I'll be following your posts. Have a great day. Jim
Posted By: JeffL Re: Introduction - 09-28-2007 09:07 AM
I also had Dr. Ozer at the James -- great to see another patient with great results! Welcome to the boards.
Posted By: Anita210 Re: Introduction - 09-28-2007 10:59 AM
Wecome to the forum, Joe.
If you don't mind my asking - is the lymphoma seen as possibly resulting from the radiation you received?

Anita
Posted By: Kim S. Re: Introduction - 09-28-2007 09:40 PM
Yes Joe, I am interested in the answer to Anita's question as well. I live in Dublin Ohio as well. I am curious.. what are your significant obstacles at 5 years out? dry mouth? taste sensation? speech? My father is only a little over a year out and I am trying to anticipate what is to come.......Thanks Kim
Posted By: Donnarose Re: Introduction - 09-29-2007 01:17 PM
Hi Joe,
Congrats and thanks for sharing! I too amd interested in Anita's question.
Can't wait to share your story with mom!
Posted By: siestasan Re: Introduction - 09-29-2007 06:16 PM
Anita,
Interesting question regarding lymphoma and radiation. Do not have the answer to that. I will inquire with Dr Lin when I see him next after my next CT scan. I contracted the lymphoma 4 years after the initial cancer diagnosis and radical surgery and radiation. But, I will find out.
Kim,
Got your e-mail. Will respond soon on that. Speech is slurred, but if I slow down when I talk I can be understood quite well. I am still on a liquid diet, using blender to mix all kinds of things. I progressed daily taking larger and larger amounts. At first swallowing was difficult, but today I have little problems. Get down on myself some, but have progressed with that as well. Depression was a problem for a while, but I try to think and act on as though nothing has happened to me. I know, sounds strange, but to me it is the only way to go. THINK POSITIVE, ACT POSITIVE, BE POSITIVE.
Posted By: siestasan Re: Introduction - 09-29-2007 06:22 PM
Anita,
Talked with my wife and she said that the radiation could have been a contributing factor to the lymphoma. But nothing confirmed yet, but I will e-mail Dr lin and ask.
Posted By: Anita210 Re: Introduction - 09-29-2007 07:10 PM
Thank you, Joe. As you can probably guess, it is not idle curiosity from all of us interested in this connection - as ramifications of radiation are a concern for many. Keep us posted on what you learn.

Best,
Anita
Posted By: Steve Daib Re: Introduction - 09-30-2007 08:58 PM
Hi Joe,

Great news. I'm a 60 yr old, almost three year survivor. My aniversary for the start of treatment id October 6. No re-occurance yet.

Steve
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum