Posted By: elise98 New Member - 08-31-2007 03:37 AM
Hi, my name is Stephanie, I'm a 29 year old mother of 1, and I was diagnosed on 5/9/07 with ACC (Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma). I had a tumor in one of my major salivary glands which was removed, after many reassurances from many different doctors that it was probably nothing because of my age, but that turned out to be cancer. It's still weird to use that word to describe myself. I had the surgery to have the tumor removed, which was successful. However, there was extensive perineural invasion (meaning it's spread into my nerves). I've undergone Proton radiation at UF & Shands hospital in Jacksonville. I finished that 6 weeks ago, but just feel like I'm kind of in limbo. It's been hard to find much information on this. Is there anyone out there who is in a similar situation? Or hopefully knows more about this than I do? I've never posted anyting on a site like this or done any talking to people I don't know via the internet, so this is kinda new to me. Can anyone help?
Stephanie
Posted By: Gary Re: New Member - 08-31-2007 07:36 AM
Hi Stephanie,
and welcome to the forum. ACC is not as common here as SCC but I believe that some here have had it so be patient waiting for a specific response.

We can certainly relate to your feeling in "limbo", that's a common denominator for most of us. Fear is also a common denominator.
Posted By: Cookey Re: New Member - 08-31-2007 11:53 AM
Hi Stephanie
Welcolm to OCF hope you find all the support and information you want and need.Any emotional issues are pretty much the same for all these cancers so you wont be short of help in that department.

liz
Posted By: Eileen Re: New Member - 08-31-2007 12:46 PM
Hi Stephanie,
Welcome to the forum. As Gary, says, most of us had SCC. If you use the search engines, you may be able to find some memebers with ACC. The one at the top of the page searches the forum and the one at the bottom searches the main site for info. We are here to help you in any way we can.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: aussieh Re: New Member - 08-31-2007 06:40 PM
Welcome Stephanie

I'm sorry you have been dealing with cancer at your young age. This site offers wonderful support for us regarding living with cancer as well as dealing with the emotional aspects.

I have found solace here from the knowledgeable and giving membership. Have you visited the main site here - it offers a great deal of factual information.

Best wishes for your recovery, love from Helen
Posted By: JAM Re: New Member - 08-31-2007 07:22 PM
Dear Stephanie, The word "cancer" strikes fear in the heart of any person diagnosed. Emotional support and talking to the "been there-done that" crowd will help you. Hopefully you will find some info on ACC, but I know you will find emotional support here if you stick with us. Yes, We are a
Cyber family - and we are a strong family smile AThere are many welcoming arms here. Amy in the Ozarks.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum