Posted By: Chelle 23 yr old. NPC 'survivor' - 08-02-2007 08:24 AM
Hi all,
I've been looking in on this sight for a little while now.
Basically, i finnished treatment in December 2006 for Undifferentiated Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. My cancer presented itself as a large 3/4" tumour starting in the Nasopharynx and growing forwards, blocking my left nostril. I had severe nose bleeds/discharge and a blocked ear. It had also spread to a lymph gland in my neck.
Being just 22 when i was diagnsed my Oncologists philosophy was to "throw the book at me". So i had 6 cycles of high dose Cisplatin & 5FU. Followed by 6 & half weeks of Radical Radiotherapy.
As far as we're concerned i've got the all clear (my lymph shrunk considerably with the first dose of chemo. & within a week my nostril unblocked and i could breathe). A C.T scan before my 4th cycle showed no signs of cancer. So everything that followed was to make sure we kicked it in the butt & it doesn't come back.
I dropped to 6stone 10lb, even with a RIG tube fitted - and size 0 aint all its cracked up to be! laugh
Long term - i have no saliva so have the usual problems with that. & severe nerve damage in my hands and feet from chemo. Tinnitus. Frozen shoulders. & a funky looking hair style as i lost lots - but not all - of my hair.
ANYWAY!
That's the condensed version of my battle with cancer.
Now - i'm back to work full time & grateful to be living my life again, even though i'll never be 'normal' again (what is normal anyway?!)
There IS life after cancer smile
So anyone reading this that's in the thick of it, it does sometimes have a happy ending!
Thanks for listening,
Michelle
Posted By: ChristineB Re: 23 yr old. NPC 'survivor' - 08-02-2007 09:20 AM
Congrat Michelle!!!!!
Posted By: Cookey Re: 23 yr old. NPC 'survivor' - 08-02-2007 03:25 PM
Hi Chelle and welcome to my secret hiding place :p its lovely to see you here and if you are half as good at giving people the benefit of your experience here as you are in the uk you will be greatly appreciated.

Hope the practising is going well and i look forward to the news of new life resulting from your success story whenever you decide the time is right.

lots of love liz
Posted By: PharmGirl Re: 23 yr old. NPC 'survivor' - 08-02-2007 06:23 PM
Hi Chelle,

Welcome to the site. I've seen you on the other site as well and I'm familiar with your story.

It's nice to have you here smile

Joy
Posted By: girlcat36 Re: 23 yr old. NPC 'survivor' - 08-02-2007 10:13 PM
Congrats! Great attitude!
Posted By: Chelle Re: 23 yr old. NPC 'survivor' - 08-03-2007 01:00 PM
Thanks guys!
Liz,
Still practising! wink
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: 23 yr old. NPC 'survivor' - 08-03-2007 10:48 PM
Hi Michelle! How wonderful to hear how great you are doing! Your enthusiasm is really catching! As for "normal" - nobody is normal. Everyone is unique and special and living the "new normal".
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum