Posted By: ihavefaith hello, new to site and scared - 05-16-2007 01:00 AM
i am 30 yrs old and stupidly chewed tobacco for the past 13 yrs. I recently was diagnosed with lukoplakia and have had raised blisters, some solid black on lower lip. I have a five month old and don't know what to expect. Biopsy performed with 99 percent chance of cx. any previous tobacco users? is lukoplakia a serious condition that is untreatable? I know so many of you have and are dealing with so much more and are coping well, i seek to gain strength from you all.
Posted By: PeteyB Re: hello, new to site and scared - 05-16-2007 03:23 AM
Welcome Faithful
I have no experiance in this. But I did read a little. Not Sure what cx means. This is a treatable condition. Some others will answer you. This is a good place for support, guidence, and prayer. Read the faq at the top of the page. That will help you with this site. Look up signature in the faq, as it will help when you ask questions. Good Luck, Petey
Posted By: Leslie B Re: hello, new to site and scared - 05-16-2007 09:59 AM
As you can see from my signature, my husband also had leukoplakia. The MedLine medical encyclopedia (from the National Institutes of Health) defines it as a white patch, most frequently on cheeks or tongue, that develops in response to irritation; the use of chewing tobacco, as in your case, is a common cause. Though leukoplakias do not always turn malignant, they certainly can.

There are a number of former chewing-tobacco users here. Using the search link at the top of each page, look for postings by outdoortexan, who also has a website about his experiences.

You have come to the right place for information. The folks on these boards are the best.

All the best,
Leslie
Posted By: PeteyB Re: hello, new to site and scared - 05-16-2007 10:06 AM
Hey again Faithful

There are two search engines here. The one at the top of the page searches the forums.

The one at the botton searches the entire site, and I believe beyond the site. (google search).

The correct spelling is: LEUKOPLAKIA

Use both of these search engines. There is a lot of information. From a quick glance leukoplakia is a "precancerous" condition. Please search and read. I AM NOT A DOCTOR, SO DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS! Just trying to help. Good Luck, Petey
Posted By: wilckdds Re: hello, new to site and scared - 05-16-2007 04:37 PM
Hi,

I assume that you got the diagnosis of leukoplakia from your biopsy but, I too don't know what you mean by 99% chance of CX.

I hope that you have stopped using the chewing tobacco. Even without a diagnosis of cancer this will be a good opportunity for you to stop. I have seen patients with cancer from dipping and you don't want to go there.

As Leslie said, you can learn a lot by reading posts by outdoortexan and visiting his site at www.outdoortexan.com

Please let us know what is happening with you.

Jerry
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum