Posted By: grizzly43 Hello Everyone! - 02-06-2007 12:46 PM
Hi, my name is Lee and I live in a town called Manchester in the United Kingdom.

I was diagnosed in June 2006 with primary Right tonsil cancer that had spread to 5 of my right neck lymph nodes. I underwent neck resection, 20 radiotherapy sessions and two 24 hour courses of chemo. I am well on the way to recovery, but like most, I am still struggling with a dry mouth. I remain on morphine patches albeit on a very low dose. It has been a real struggle for me and my family, but hopefully I have now beat this awful disease. It is very encouraging to read the threads and to discover other peoples experiences. I am awaiting the results later in the week of a recent MRI scan, so keeping my fingers crossed. Regards
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-06-2007 03:46 PM
Hello Lee,

Welcome to OCF. Here you will find many answers to questions you may have.

I am guessing you are waiting for a 6 month MRI scan. I hope all will turn out OK for you. We are always a little nervous for the first few scans.

Oh yes the dreaded Dry Mouth. We all share in that one. I use a product called Oral Balance it is by Biotene. I have it in a gel and a liquid. It helps with the dry mouth. I am 1 year out from treatment and still have problems with dry mouth. I do have some saliva, but wish I had more. I keep waiting for more changes every month.

Hope all will continue to improve for you, it is a long journey for us all.

Take care,
Diane
Posted By: Pete D Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-06-2007 05:36 PM
Biotene has a whole line of dry mouth products, toothpaste, sugarless saliva gum, mouth gel, "persistent" mouthwash that lasts a bit longer at night...
Posted By: Redser Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-06-2007 06:10 PM
Hi Lee,

Nice to hear from someone on the same side of the Atlantic! I am irish but I live in Luxembourg. I have a sister who lives near Manchester though, in Wilmslow.

I hope the MRI result goes well, let us know what happens.

Redser
Posted By: Stoj Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-06-2007 08:09 PM
Welcome Lee,

Sorry to see you are here but glad you made it to our board. I hope your scans are all negative.
Posted By: grizzly43 Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-07-2007 08:16 AM
Thanks Everyone. I will report back tomorrow after the scan, hopefully with good news.

I have been using the biotene gel for the last few weeks. Working really well, especially at night.

Lee
Posted By: grizzly43 Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-08-2007 01:02 PM
Good News from the Hospital today. Everything looks well and no sign of any recurrence.

Still on monthly check ups, but I can now start to get my life back on track, starting with a phased return to work in the next few weeks. Already joined a gym and doing some swimming. The swimming is giving me an appetite, which really helps.

Thanks for your words of support.

Lee
Posted By: August Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-08-2007 02:23 PM
Congratulations, Lee. I know the feeling of being able to stop holding your breath. Now you can focus on getting your life back. I like the Lance Armstrong motto: LiveStrong....Take your life back, and don't let this monster take more from you than it already has!!

I'm happy for you.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-08-2007 06:40 PM
griz,

Congrats....when did you finish Tx?
Posted By: linroth Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-08-2007 08:04 PM
So glad to hear the good news!! Thanks for sharing with all of us. Such a relief when they say everything looks good. Have a great day smile
Posted By: Stoj Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-09-2007 12:16 PM
Great to hear your good news, I'm happy for you!
Posted By: grizzly43 Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-10-2007 08:24 AM
Thanks Everyone.

I finished my Radiotherapy/Chemotherapy in October 2006. I had a feeding tube for several months, but now its just the biotene and morphine patches. I have already reduced the strength of my patch, and hope to come off it altogether in the next few weeks.

Will I have any problems coming off the morphine? I have been on it since about June 06.
Posted By: Stoj Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-10-2007 12:46 PM
Just remember to back off slowly not to "quit cold turkey" for example if you are on a 100mcg patch then put on a 75mcg then 50 then 25 then 0. That's waht my Dr recommended and what I read here and it went well for me.

Good luck
Posted By: Pete D Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-10-2007 05:47 PM
Back out verrrry slowly, as if you were a human who stumbled into a bear cave -- If you turn and run, the bear will quickly give chase and catch you! <grinz>

Good Luck with the process!
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-10-2007 07:24 PM
Make sure that you recognize the symptoms of withdrawl sickness. Your doctor should explain this to you in detail. It took me about 10 weeks to wean off of a years use of morphine. I would reduce dosage, stay at that level for a week, and then the next week reduce a small amount again, and so on till I finally was free of the drug. If I went too fast, (eager to be free of the constipation, sleepyness etc.), chillls, shakes, and other issues came if I did it too fast.
Posted By: grizzly43 Re: Hello Everyone! - 02-12-2007 07:19 AM
Thanks again. I am currently on a 25 mcgpatch. I will speak to my GP this week about withdrawal symptoms and the best way to cope with them.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum