Posted By: DebbieB New and need help - 11-05-2006 12:53 PM
My Mother has retromolar trigone cancer. Had surgery in June. Now its back. Went to another hospital, now going to have radiation instead of another surgery. She had to have 5 bottom teeth pulled. Don't know what to try to feed her. Haven't seen the nutritionist yet. Mom is 85 years old. Can any one give me some guideance?
Posted By: davidcpa Re: New and need help - 11-05-2006 01:42 PM
There are many liquid nutritional supplements on the market. Boost, Ensure regular and Plus versions and Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC just to name a few. I prefer the VHC only because it contains 560 cals in the same 8 oz size of the others and is as equally balanced. You have to order it through your pharmacy, like CVS or Walgrens but it's easy to get and costs no more than the other two.
Posted By: JoAnne1981 Re: New and need help - 11-05-2006 01:50 PM
Hi Debbie, Sorry to hear about your Mom. What is the status of her swallowing? Is she having difficulty from pain or swelling from the cancer or issues from having the bottom teeth pulled? Is she on any restrictions on what she can eat?

If it's a chewing issue, go with soft foods like scrambled eggs, egg salad with extra mayo, french toast that you let soak overnight in the milk, milk shakes or yogurt/protein shakes, carnation instant breakfast, fish, dinty moore beef stew or soups. Things that fall off the bone are good like crock pot chicken. The blender is a beautiful thing for mixing up fruits like bananas, blueberries, strawberris and making smoothies. Don't forget to have her drink plently of water so she doesn't get dehydrated. What does she like to eat and can it be modified. Smaller more frequent meals are better than 3 regular ones.

Hope this helps and ask them what they expect the status of her swallowing will be when she starts radiation as that will be very imporant.

Regards JoAnne
Posted By: Skywarn Re: New and need help - 11-08-2006 04:43 AM
Yup, the tonsil was cancerous, but had only 1.0 mm, and all of the surrounding tissue taken out was negative.

Been getting chemo once a week (started 10-31) on the left lymph node, and radiation five days a week. Am just now starting to get the dry mouth thingy, and have no idea as to what comes next. Ain't thinking about tomorrow, tho', and yesterday's gone. No intent of offending anyone, but yup, "THE SHOW MUST GO ON!"

Skywarn (always watching.....;-)
Posted By: JAM Re: New and need help - 11-08-2006 10:15 PM
Hi, Sykwarm- I suspect you are going to be a hell of a caregiver smile Keep that attitude going, Lady. Amy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum