Posted By: MichelleH My 37 year old sister Pauline - 08-22-2006 09:17 PM
Pauline has been told she has Adnoid Cystic Carcinoma (sp) and it is in an aggressive stage. She will have to have tons of radiation and chemo. My family and I are paralyzed. We don't know what to do. Have any of you had this cancer or your family and could give me some advise as to what is going to happen during this tough time? Will she be sick from the radiation? or from the Chemo? What drugs can help her be strong?
Posted By: JAM Re: My 37 year old sister Pauline - 08-22-2006 10:30 PM
Dear Michelle, I don't know how many people here have had the exact diagnosis as Pauline, but I do know that everyone here has experienced some kind of head and neck cancer- and has experienced some mix of surgery, radiaton, and chemo. You and your family will have to get a grip on the fear quickly-get "unparalyized" and start your plan to help Pauline through this. The answers to your treatment questions can come in a little while. Here is my suggestin for "1st things 1st"
#1. Find the "Getting through it" topics on this forum and read the entries carefully.
#2. Designate 1 or 2 clear headed people to go with her to all Doctor appts. from now on and take a notebook.
#3. Pick only a few good websites to research on [you can drive yourself crazy with more information than you can digest or understand]
#4. Make a good list of the practical things Pauline's suppost group can do to help out during the next months. [are there kids involved, a house to run and clean, monthly bills to be paid, a yard to mow,groceries to shop for, someone will need to be in charge of Insurance claims, etc., etc. It is a cliche, BUT it is sooo true here. When the going gets tough, the tough get going!Pauline will need all of her energies directed toward winning this fight- whatever the rest of you can do to relieve her worry and stress will go a long way in helping her. Think positive, think practical and think solutions- One step at a time. You are in a good place here at OCF. You will find lots of answers and lots of help. Amy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum