Posted By: kukatie Biopsied on Thursday.. - 05-07-2006 07:26 PM
Hi all,

I'm Kate in Kansas and I had a sore on my tongue for about 5 weeks. I went to the dentist on Wednesday and on Thursday afternoon I was sitting in the oral surgeon's chair waiting for him to "scrape off a few cells". Ha! He took a chunk of my tongue and I have 4 stitches! Now the waiting game has begun. He says it doesn't look like cancer, but none of the things he has told me has been true. He told me he probably wouldn't need to use any stitches, the pain would be gone in a day, and the stitches will probably fall out within a day. It's Sunday evening, my tongue is still aching, I have 3 stitches left and I have 3 stitches left. I just needed to tell somebody who understands. BTW - I am 47, non-smoker, non-drinker.

have a great day - Kate
Posted By: JAM Re: Biopsied on Thursday.. - 05-07-2006 09:43 PM
Kate, glad you decided to join us and share you experience. Let's hope the biopsy proves normal. Hopefully by Monday your tongue will be in good shape again and the worrying will be ovr. Amy
Posted By: gillijl Re: Biopsied on Thursday.. - 05-07-2006 10:16 PM
I remember how much my biopsied site bothered me that night. I know it's painful, but I'm so glad you are checking into it.

I hope you get good news soon! I know how hard the waiting can be.

Your neighbor in Oklahoma,
Jennifer
Posted By: kanada Re: Biopsied on Thursday.. - 05-08-2006 08:35 PM
All the best while you wait for your results. I had a biopsy sample taken from my tongue and man did it hurt for about a week after - frozen fruit pops worked for me - not the lime ones, they stung!! Rince with baking soda and water may feel good too. regards - terry
Posted By: Amy M. Re: Biopsied on Thursday.. - 05-08-2006 10:43 PM
I was told warm salt water rinse 4x per day. But, I also had 4 impacted wisdom teeth cut out the same time as my tongue biopsies (2 different areas). The stitches were in for a few days - Don't know about the pain - I was on percocept due to the wisdom teeth extraction. Try the salt water though - it really felt good in my mouth.
Posted By: kukatie Re: Biopsied on Thursday.. - 05-09-2006 07:23 PM
Hi all,

Good news - I do not have cancer. The wait for that answer felt like an eternity. I wish all of you the very best and thank you for your well wishes and suggestions.

Kate
Posted By: Lisa's Living in Paradise Re: Biopsied on Thursday.. - 05-10-2006 07:07 AM
kukatie,

Congratulations on your diagnosis! I assume KU is for the University of Kansas? We have a few Jayhawks on this board, myself included!

Be sure to keep an eye on your tongue for any changes and if you see something, follow up on it quickly.

Sincerely,
Lisa
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: Biopsied on Thursday.. - 05-10-2006 08:31 PM
Hello Kate,

Goes to show you how human doctors are doesn't it!!! Lets hope the pathlogy report comes back clean. You don't fall into the risk area so I'm hoping that is in your favor.
Please post when you get the reports and give us some good news, We all love to read good news. It picks us all up a notch.

All my Best, Danny Boy
Posted By: Uptown Re: Biopsied on Thursday.. - 05-12-2006 09:40 AM
Kate,

What a blast of good news to start off my day! I am really happy for you.

And...yes there are a few Jayhawks around here! Rock Chalk. I'm from Wichita and second generation KU alum.

Ed
Posted By: kukatie Re: Biopsied on Thursday.. - 05-12-2006 07:04 PM
You betcha KU is for KU...what about our recruitment for basketball???

kj
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum