Posted By: kanada post surgery question - 04-20-2006 05:13 PM
Well I had my radical neck dissection and salivary gland relocation on Thurs and drains out and discharged from hospital on Monday.The surgeon removed +20 lymph glands from the side of the cancerous gland and a few from the other side since he was there anyway. Other than some swelling and discomfort - not able to swallow very good and major mucus that would not stop making me feel like choking!!

Now, for the last 3 days my face has been swelling like crazy - look like a character in a fat suit - like perhaps "Fat Bastard" - I was chubby faced before but this is bad. My skin in very stretched and sore. Every day the swelling has travelled higher up my face and this am it was under my eyes!! I have tried ice packs and then ice packs and heat.

My Dr. is in surgery today so when I went to emerg. this morning, they spoke to him and said come back tomorrow.

My sister is a nurse and a Dr. she works with said it almost sounds like the left over lymph nodes ain't picking up the slack for the guys who go removed. Don't I need those little PacMen garbage pickers to get rid of the stuff that is making me swell??

Has anyone else experienced this?

I gotta say, it is really adding to my discomfort and dispare about this whole thing!! If it was pain I could probably go to a second hand store and take my mind off it - but I would honestly scare little children by how swollen my face is.??

Thanks to those who answered my last post!!
Posted By: lenny polizzi Re: post surgery question - 04-20-2006 05:35 PM
Okay Kanada,
It sounds like there is some complication that can be controlled or helped by your surgeon, I am sure you will get an answer, soon I hope, but it is a relief to see that your sense of humor is intact, your will to fight remains, two of the most crucial elements in fighting this evil bastard. Keep up the good fight my dear, the path to victory is often filled with obsticles, all of which you shall overcome.
always lenny
Posted By: wilckdds Re: post surgery question - 04-20-2006 11:09 PM
Hi Kanada,

Sounds like lymphedema. There are therapists trained in getting the lymph flowing. The sooner you get started the sooner you will feel and look better.

Jerry
Posted By: Mark Re: post surgery question - 04-21-2006 12:14 AM
You might find that sleeping with your head elevated (with a wedge of boards under your mattress) will help some.
Posted By: Carol L Re: post surgery question - 04-21-2006 03:06 PM
Hi Kanada, I am almost 4 years out and still have some swelling on the left side of my face (surgery side). I do see a therapist for lymphedema and it helps somewhat, I have a pillow shaped like a wedge that elevates my head (like Mark mentioned) that too helps some. Try looking up a therapist in your area that can get things moving for you, also my therapist has taught me a few exercises to do to help with it.....Good Luck, Carol
Posted By: kanada Re: post surgery question - 04-21-2006 09:20 PM
See - you guys are soooo smart - today I was finally able to see my surgeon inbetween him doing other surgeries and you folks are exactly right!! Of course he didn't give me the therapist referral part, which I intend to do. He said that it is normal to expect some swelling, although I did have more than most so put me on antibiotics to see if that would help as well. I had been sleeping on three pillows, but I think the extra elevation with a wedge is a good idea cause it is certainly better in the morning. Thanks again for your posts and your correct answers to the trivia game!!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum