Posted By: Craig Porter New member - 03-14-2006 10:51 PM
Hello folks,
I've had SCC stage IV, found out last Aug.
I've had the once a day radiation, once a week chemo, and a modified radical neck.
I've been cancer free, (so far),since week 3 Dec. 05'.
I've had two epsophageal dilitations and still can't swallow.
I have a very tough, very supportive, wife and three small children.
I think if they told you honestly about the side effects of the tx, no one would consent.
So..... whats up with you guys.
Craig
Posted By: Barb Re: New member - 03-15-2006 02:02 AM
Hi Craig. Sorry to see you here but if you have the "C" then its the best place around. I am glad your tests have been good to date. I have been clean now for 8 months. Taking it one day at a time. One day at a time.
Posted By: Marica Re: New member - 03-15-2006 11:36 AM
Welcome Craig
My hubby also had a stage IV ( base of tongue).
Sure the treatment is rough, in fact its a nightmare but, boy the results are worth it!
We are 3 years out... he is going full steam ahead.... and life is great again.
By the way, do you have a PEG? We considered it a lifesaver when swallowing was an issue.
Nice to meet you , let us know if we can be of any help to you or your wife.

Marica
Posted By: Erik Kleiva Re: New member - 03-16-2006 03:43 AM
Hi Craig! I am glad your here. I was told all of the consequences of treatment up front & found this site before treatment started. It scared the HELL out of me! I clearly remember asking the docs point blank, "What if I just don't treat it?". The surgeons charge nurse/assistant said, "You'll be dead in 6 months. The tumor will keep growing & close off your airway." I also have 3 children & a helluva wife & the decision from there was not that difficult. I am a little over 2 years out from that day, alive & living life very well. Your still early on in the healing process, be patient & fight like hell! Keep yer chin up! You can do this! Can you swallow anything at all? Keep trying & experiment with different foods for softness & slipperiness & combinations. I love a good steak, but it is still hard to swallow, so I will combine bites with bites of tomatoe for instance. Real butter lubes up everthing. Olive oil, etc. Wash everything down with milk, it was easier to manage than water at first. There are still certain foods I just won't bother with today, but I can eat just about anything I set my mind to now, but it has taken time & dtermination. Erik
Posted By: Steve Daib Re: New member - 03-16-2006 09:53 AM
Hi Craig,

It takes a while to heal. I was out of treatment 7 weeks before I could eat oatmeal. Can you at least take water? If you can manage some liquid, it is a start. I think it is a matter of retraining to be able to swallow again. I began with very soft foods. Oatmeal with banana. Lots of milk. Pudding, jello, icecream, shakes, etc. Now I am a year and 3 months out of treatment and eating everything except spicy food. My tongue cannotg handle yet.

good luck,

Steve Daib
Posted By: Erik Kleiva Re: New member - 03-16-2006 01:44 PM
Steve, I LOVE spicy food! The spicier the better. I think I over do it sometimes though. The other night my wife was outta town & I took my kids to this hole in the wall mexican restaurant for dinner. Excellent food! I tried a little habenero hot sauce on a couple of tortlla chips & think I actually burned the tip of my poor little tongue! Fresh tomatoe anything is a staple of my diet with most meals, salsa, extra tomatoe slices on burgers, chopped tomatoe & onion salad with alittle olive oil goes with everything & helps everything go down easier.
Posted By: praveen_peddi Re: New member - 03-16-2006 04:11 PM
Hi Craig,

Sorry to see you in this forum, but you found the right place. My brother also diagnosed with the same SCC tongue, Stage IV and he just completed first round of Chemo and 5 more to go. He completed 4 radiations and 26 to go. This place is helping me a lot interms of support and suggestions.

I hope you will be back to normal before you know it. Keep fighting and be in good spirit all the time.

Praveen
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum