Posted By: ASohn Loose tooth 6mos after surgery - 08-02-2017 04:06 PM
Hello all,

This is my first post, but I have found this board very helpful during my 6 month cancer journey. I was diagnosed in January 2017 with stage 1 SCC on my left retromolar trigone pad. The surgery to remove the cancer was successful and although the healing process has been slow it has been progressing.

Recently I have noticed my gums have become irritated around the surgery site. Over the weekend I noticed that my last molar in front of the surgery area was loose. Went to the doctor yesterday hoping he would tell me it was just a bad tooth or that the tissue removal in the area is the cause. Although he did say that was a possibility, I have a CT scan scheduled for tomorrow and a possible biopsy on Friday.

Has anyone had loose teeth around surgery site? I did not have radiation so that isn't the cause.

Thank you in advance for any comments. Waiting is the hardest part.

Sohn
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Loose tooth 6mos after surgery - 08-02-2017 05:23 PM
Welcome to OCF, Sohn! Im sorry you are having some post surgery issues. As Ive learned over the last 10 years from this group, almost anything is possible. I cant think of anyone who did not have rads but months after surgery developed a loose tooth. Its not easy to compare situations! Everyone is an individual and even if you have people who on paper are identical with the same age, sex, tumor location, treatment plan, general geographic location, physician/medical team and Stage they still could have vastly different experiences with after effects. Even experienced doctors need a biopsy to confirm exactly what is going on if something suspicious looking is cancerous. Im glad to see you are following up with your medical team. I know its not easy to wait but its likely to be another week until you get all the test results back. Wishing you all the very best with everything!!! Please keep us posted on how you make out.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum