Posted By: cougardad62 New patient - 04-01-2017 02:39 PM
I was diagnosed with throat cancer on 3/2/17. Had surgery to remove my tumor. I just had a PET scan and scheduled to start chemo and radiation on 4/6. I just had a feeding tube put in and a port for chemo. This was a shock since most of my life I was pretty healthy! So my journey begins! 7 weeks according to my cancer doctor. I have a good attitude about things.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: New patient - 04-01-2017 05:52 PM
Welcome to the forum. I am sorry you have to join our circle of friends, but I know everyone will be there to support you.

It's great that you have a good attitude about the situation even though it's unexpected. It will help tremendously during treatment and in your recovery.

Christine B will probably be by soon to talk to you about hydration and calorie-intake. I would just like to say that you may find the feeding tube a big help in achieving your intake goals. The treatment is thought but you will come through. Take it a day and a time and make sure you keep on doing your favorite activities for as long as you can. Post when you have questions, somewhere there is a forum member who likely had the same problem as you. We are also the shoulder you can lean on.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: New patient - 04-01-2017 11:16 PM
Welcome to OCF, Al! We will be here to help get you thru your treatments and recovery. Hang on to your positive attitude, it will help get you thru some rough days.

Read and learn about your illness. Being informed helps to make you a strong advocate for yourself. Line up helpers to help you when you hit the rough weeks.

Best wishes with your continued recovery.
Posted By: EMTK3 Re: New patient - 04-02-2017 04:03 AM
Glad you found us Al and welcome. Getting a cancer diagnosis is probably the biggest shock any of us can imagine. It sounds like you have your head screwed on right with a real positive attitude. That can make a big difference in how you react to treatment.

Your doctors are on the ball having your port and peg tube already in place. The feeding tube will become your best friend. Like Christine said, the treatments are tough but they are doable.

I found the people on this forum to be very compassionate and knowledgeable. There will always be someone who has gone through a similar situation and they will share their experiences to try and help you.

Good luck in your journey and keep us informed.

Ed
Posted By: cougardad62 Re: New patient - 04-02-2017 07:56 PM
Thank you all for the support!
Posted By: David2 Re: New patient - 04-04-2017 05:16 PM
Al, Welcome - we're here to help you in any way we can. Please ask any and all questions or just complain! You're among friends.

Sending all positive vibes your way.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum