Posted By: Lisa Gamble Here I am - 02-25-2017 06:17 PM
I hope I am doing this correctly. My name is Lisa, I am 50 years old, and I was diagnosed as having cancer after having a biopsy on 2/1. Typed/staged after CT (2/8) and MRI (2/13). I have SCC of the left retromolar trigone stage 4b. At this time surgery is not an option so the treatment course, for now, is Chemotherapy every 21 days for three cycles and then reevaluation in the hope that it will shrink the tumor to the point where surgery is feasible. I had my first Chemo treatment on 2/17 and the next will be on 3/10. I receive Cisplatin and Taxotere at the center then 5-FU is administered over 4 days at home via a port. I am being treated at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia.

I'm here because I'm scared, anxious, want information and a million other reasons I cannot quite articulate. The past few days have been rough, but I received Hydrtion yesterday which seemed to help a bit.

Lisa
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Here I am - 02-25-2017 10:13 PM
Welcome to OCF, Lisa! Im very sorry to read about what you are going thru. I still remember the shock I felt when my doctor first diagnosed me. Those 3 little words (you have cancer) sure can throw a monkey wrench into your life! You are in the right place for info and support. Im not that far from Philly, a little over an hour north. There are many wonderful people Ive met thru OCF from my general area. We all get together every year at the NJ OCF walk/run/OC screening event in September.

The very best thing you can do is focus on what is controllable... your intake. This is what will make or break how easily you go thru your treatments. I know with chemo its not easy to always take enough in every day. Im glad you have taken advantage of extra hydration. This helps most patients to instantly perk them up, at least it did for me. I hope your physician has written a standing order so you can do hydration a few days a week. Some days you may have to push to make the daily minimums of 48-64 oz of water and 2500+ calories daily so any extra help (like getting hydration) will make it easier.

I have no doubt your emotions are all over the place. Its perfectly natural when facing a life threatening disease. We understand exactly what you are going thru. We have walked that path ourselves. You can lean on us to vent, rant, or express your feelings. We get you!

Ive sent you a private message (PM) on how to navigate the forum easily. Click on the tiny flashing envelope next to the My Stuff tab.

Glad you are here smile

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum