Posted By: doreen need help please - 06-27-2005 06:55 PM
Hello,
My name is Doreen and my husband Lee, age 44, has stage IV base of tongue/larynx SCC. I am new to the group and did post previously(maybe in the wrong section). lee had a total glossectomy and partial laryngectomy(epiglottis)
and is now undergoing chemo and rad. He is treating at Univ of penn and received a concurring opinion at Sloan that he had to have surgery since he had rad for tonsillar non-hodgkin's lymphoma 9 yrs. ago (perhaps causing this cancer?) and he could not have enough rads this time without the surgery. He was given about a 10% chance of swallowing but apparently this combo of surgery is not common and there are not a lot of statistics. Apparently, the total tongue and larynx is not done too often. We were told that this combo will make swallowing anything pretty tricky and solids are out. I guess my question is if anyone has had this type of surgery, what is your swallowing status and is/was your trach permanent? Any info would be helpful. I did post under another section, so i'm not sure if it was the wrong section or if no one had this scenario. Thank you and God Bless us all.
Doreen
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: need help please - 06-27-2005 10:24 PM
Hello Doreen,

Welcome to the Oral cancer Foundation. I have no knowledge about your husband Lee's type of treatment. I wanted to let you know someone with knowledge about his surgery should reply. I also wanted to wish you both good wishes as he goes through chemo & rad. Ask any question you have as he travels thru treatment. You can use the search engine at the top of the page and gain a wealth of information on oral cancer.

All my Best, Danny Boy
Posted By: Michaelii Re: need help please - 06-27-2005 11:56 PM
You're in the right place...

I don't know any answers for you, but I wanted to send my wishes of good health to your husband.

- Michael
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum