Posted By: Stephanie newton Scared and need advice. - 12-05-2015 07:11 PM
Hello. I'm brand new here. I'm 46 and for the past week I've had what I thought was an allergic reaction on the roof of my mouth, (sometimes the ridges would be very pronounced) but when it hadn't gone away in 4 days and was becoming painful I asked my partner to look at it.
She did and took pictures. It red and white and appears to have holes in it. It feels rather slimy hen touch it with my tongue.
I only have IEHP insurance and don't know where I should go to get checked....doctor? Dentist?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Scared and need advice. - 12-05-2015 09:13 PM
Stephanie, dentists usually will only take care of teeth while your family physician should be able to check you out. Many mouth sores are nothing serious and resolve themselves within 2-3 weeks. Anything longer than that should be checked by a professional. If you smoke... quit now, avoid alcohol and mouthwashes that have alcohol in them. Try rinsing your mouth a few times a day with 1 cup warm water, 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt. Swish this mixture in your mouth for at least 30 seconds, 4 times a day. This should help your mouth to heal. I hope its nothing serious that you will need our help.

Best wishes!!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum