Posted By: lmi121 New Here-looking for PEG Tube Advice - 10-08-2015 01:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

My father is a stage 4 base of the tongue survivor. I am here looking for ways to help him cope with his extensive radiation damage.

He has been living on a peg tube since 6/12, and has suffered with aspiration pneumonia 3x in the past 2 years even WITH the peg tube. Most recently in the past month his peg tube has come out 2x. He is NOT senile or suffering from dementia the tube is just coming out. It appears that many doctors are just not educated enough on peg tubes and freeze when seeing one.

If anyone can offer any advice or tips that would be greatly appreciated. As many of us know the peg tube is his lifeline.

Posted By: ChristineB Re: New Here-looking for PEG Tube Advice - 10-08-2015 05:49 PM
Welcome to OCF. You have come to the right place for info and support.

Ive had a feeding tube for several years so I have experience with anything and everything that can go wrong with them. There are a few different types of feeding tubes. Maybe your father would do better with the Mickey button? This type doesnt have the long tube and is just the little cap right on his skin. This type seems to hold up much better than the regular PEG tube.

Posted By: Neumann Re: New Here-looking for PEG Tube Advice - 10-18-2015 12:46 AM
Hi. My husband used gentle tape to keep it secured to his stomach when not using. It never fell out. He was very carefull and not very active while that thing was in his stomach. Hoping your father finds a solution. Ps my husband even had it shortened to keep better control over it.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: New Here-looking for PEG Tube Advice - 10-18-2015 01:50 PM
You did not mention if your dad is drinking and using the PEG only for food, or if he is using the PEG for both eating and drinking. The aspiration pneumonia could be from the liquids he drinks, or even from his saliva. Has your dad had a swallowing test? A speech and language pathologist who administers the test can advise you on the correct thickness of the fluids your dad may be drinking. Aspiration pneumonia is dangerous, especially when it is silent aspiration. While you are pursuing a solution for the PEG, I would suggest talking to the doctors about the aspiration pneumonia.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum