Posted By: SoCal51 Hello - my story. - 08-05-2015 05:41 AM
Hi, I have had 4 biopsies on my Tongue in the last four years. I have Leukoplakia which appears to be Mild Dysplasia which keeps recurring. My oral surgeon told me, today. The best option is a more involved biopsy with an pathologist in the room looking at the samples util we get clean margins. it is my decision . He doesn�t know what he would do in my situation. Seems invasive, but I am worry I don�t want to ignore this. Looking for advice. From people who know more about this. The oral surgeon seems competent -- he said he is ok with either direction I choose (Frequent Follow up or more Surgery to get clear margins)

Anyone experience something like this in the early stages?
What type of doctor should i see, if not the Oral Surgeon?
Is this deeper biopsy really invasive?
I live in Southern Cal any advice on professionals is also appreciated.

I am 51, non smoker, lite drinker. Family history of other cancers.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Hello - my story. - 08-05-2015 07:55 PM
I would recommend seeing an Ear Nose & Throat doctor (otolaryngologist) - one that treats oral cancer patients. Is there a major cancer center near you? Can your oral surgeon recommend an ENT?

Dysplasia is a pre-cancer - it could change to cancer at some point, but it may never. I've have 4 surgeries on my tongue (same location each time) and the last 2 were done as your oral surgeon suggested. This procedure is also know as "frozen sections" where the pathologist will examine samples until they get clean margins. They also use a blue dye during the procedure that aids them in identifying abnormal cells.

There is a lot of great information on the main pages of the OCF website, and it has a search function.

Wishing you the best!

Posted By: Cheryld Re: Hello - my story. - 08-15-2015 01:23 PM
My advice is - aside from being seen by an ENT who deals specifically with oral cancer, go ahead and have a nice chunk removed. Consider it preventative therapy. If someone had offered me that option prior to being diagnosed with cancer I would have jumped on it. Playing it safe or worrying that it's over kill - has actually killed numerous people. Hugs
Posted By: QueenKong Re: Hello - my story. - 08-26-2015 05:22 AM
Have you gone for a second opinion at a major cancer center?
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum