Posted By: LesNoLess New Member-Finished Treatment(s) 1st Forum - 04-20-2015 08:12 PM
Well..as I have seen, this is not particularly a forum one wants to see himself in, but being as I have completed my walk 'into the light', I am interested in what to expect from here on out.
I was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma (BOT) Feb 2013. My Oncologist wasted no time in scheduling my 1st PET scan, installing a port in my chest, beginning my Chemo and scheduling Radiation. At the end of 2013 he stated I was disease free (he would not use the term; In Remission), as he felt that meant the disease was halted instead of removed.
So I guess that suggest I have been cancer free for 18 months.
Have a few issues: Dysphagia, Xerostomia and weight loss which I am trying to resolve but�.when all is considered I quickly recognize: Life is Good.
But I have also become more aware of: Empathy as I have seen the other side, on the faces of those whom I became acquainted, in the Cancer Center.
I am not into Social Media or forums, so forgive me if I do not know the protocols related to these forums. Just looking for other thoughts and ideas.
Posted By: PJE Re: New Member-Finished Treatment(s) 1st Forum - 04-20-2015 08:24 PM
Hi, and welcome. I am also a recent member here, but found it on the day after my initial diagnosis rather than post-treatment like in your case. I begin treatments this Friday.

The folks here have been awesome. There is a wealth of information and experiences from other members, and they're all quite willing to share and eager to help. You've come to a great place.
Welcome to OCF! Im always happy to welcome another survivor, someone who has already been thru the war successfully.

As you are finding out, recover can take a loooonnnggg time! After everything your body has been thru, it takes a full 2 years before you are at your "new normal". Many patients see slight improvements in their sense of taste, dry mouth and fatigue until about 2 years post rads. Keep pushing higher calories and water intake for at least another 6 months to help bounce back. Daily shoot for at least 2500 calories, if trying to regain weight push for more like 3500 calories daily. Your water intake should be 48-64 oz daily. Adding high protein whey powder to your liquids will help with healing too. Weight gain can be tricky for most of us after going thru rads.

PS... I sent you a private message (PM). Look next to the "My Stuff" tab and click on the tiny flashing envelope. In the PM, there is a link which will quickly teach you the ins and outs of the forum and it has a list of abbreviations. Especially important is making your signature, detailed instructions are spelled out in the link too.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum