Posted By: goldenk9s Hi, my name is jo - 02-26-2015 03:59 PM
Mid December I noticed (what I thought was) a canker sore on the roof of my mouth. When it hadn't healed in a few weeks I had my husband look at it. He stated it didn't look good and suggested I see our PCP. Dr Brown didn't like the looks of it either so sent me to an ENT. She did not think it was cancer and sent me to an Oral Surgeon. With all the hoops the insurance company put me through it is now into February. Saw the Oral surgeon and he wanted to remove and biopsy it, but needed approval from insurance. I have an appointment March 3 to have that done. But, I now see that the lesion has changed it is red instead of white and the surrounding area is also white and raised. I'm trying to stay positive and not jump to worst case scenario but it isn't easy. Glad I found this site so there are people to talk with that know what I'm feeling. Thanks for listening.
Posted By: Vanpaddler Re: Hi, my name is jo - 02-26-2015 06:36 PM
It could be many things, not necessarily cancer. Glad to hear that you have the biopsy being done though - at least that will determine if it is, or not. I know this is a very scary time, waiting for the biopsy and then waiting for your results. But try not to worry too much about it, don't dwell on it, dominating your thoughts all day long and let it stop you from sleeping. Easy enough to say and not so easy to do, but there is no benefit to yourself to allow so much worry.

I hope you get some good news soon!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Hi, my name is jo - 02-26-2015 08:40 PM
yes hopefully its nothing but better safe than sorry. If you do get a bad news diagnosis (crossing my fingers you don't) My suggestion would be a referral to a top notch ENT who works with OC. Insurance companies suck... hugs and welcome.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Hi, my name is jo - 02-26-2015 10:18 PM
Welcome to OCF. I also would advise you to seek out an ENT who specializes in oral cancer. They would be the most knowledgeable person to help determine exactly whats going on. A biopsy is the only way to know for certain what it is. Hopefully its not cancerous. Since you have to wait for the other doc, try calling your insurance company and asking about an experienced ENT.

Good luck!!!
Posted By: goldenk9s Re: Hi, my name is jo - 02-27-2015 03:33 PM
Going in at noon today to have it biopsied. Will report back when results come in. Appreciate the welcome and the support.
Posted By: QueenKong Re: Hi, my name is jo - 02-27-2015 04:11 PM
So frustrating that things like this are not biopsied right away. Something needs to change with our system. Let us know, jo.
Posted By: OzMojo Re: Hi, my name is jo - 02-27-2015 04:23 PM
Hi, welcome, fingers crossed.
Posted By: donfoo Re: Hi, my name is jo - 02-28-2015 01:34 AM
Press to get the results if you want them early. Typically in the USA the reports are done in a couple days. An y further delay is scheduling with the doctor. You should be able to go and get the disc and attached report.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum