Posted By: Geri Mae Parotid gland tumor with paralysis- new- - 10-19-2014 04:39 AM
Hi, my fianc� has recently been diagnosis with a parotid gland tumor 1.8 centimeters after 5 months of doctors visits for paralysis, bells palsey diagnosis, Teeth extractions, & severe pain.

I am looking to learn more about me nerve grafting during surgery in a few weeks. As I've researched.. I've just learned tonight that this cancer comes back... And that radiation will be awful for his teeth?
Looking to make connections with anyone who had facial paralysis and pain due to a parotid tumor.
Looking for hope.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Parotid gland tumor with paralysis- new- - 10-19-2014 12:20 PM
Welcome to OCF! Im very sorry you are here for your fiance. It pretty unusual for someone to have a tumor in their parotid gland diagnosed. It could be a little while before anyone with a similar diagnosis responds.

Anyone who undergoes radiation for head and neck cancer should wear fluoride trays on their teeth. This can help prevent dental issues after rads. Also using a waterpik, having impeccable daily dental maintenance and getting regular (if not more frequent) dental cleanings.

A good prescription medication for nerve pain is neurtontin I think its also known as gabapentin. I used this when recovering from my mandibulectomy (half lower jaw removed) when the pain was enough to stop me in my tracks.

Best wishes to you both!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum