Posted By: Msusieqfl Hi everyone ! - 10-12-2014 11:11 AM
I stumbled upon this site and am not exactly sure what I'm expecting but here's my story : my husband thought he had a bad tooth - months later we are at home in what he feels is a hopeless situation. He was diagnosis we with a stage 3 squamous cell carcinoma of the left mandible. He had a fibula flap resection on sept 4-14 and did great .... Until it started smelling horrible - he had a terrible infection and lost the Bone graft and we our now home on iv antibiotics and go for radiation mask Monday - on tube feeds and can not have anything by mouth due to the hole the infection caused - feeling so bummed for him frown
Posted By: JamesD Re: Hi everyone ! - 10-12-2014 11:23 AM
You have come to the right place. I too stumbled into this family and received encouragement and advice on the journey I had to go through. Please use this forum for questions and support. Those who comment after the welcomes will keep you on track.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Hi everyone ! - 10-13-2014 01:45 AM
Welcome to OCF! Im happy you have found our site to help both you and your husband get thru the upcoming treatments.

Posted By: n74tg Re: Hi everyone ! - 10-13-2014 02:32 AM
Hi Snicker - welcome to the family. Sorry your husband has been through so much already. Hopefully now his treatment and life can start getting back to normal.

We have a lot of caregivers here, they know how to help you get through all this too. So, lean on them when the need arises. For that matter, lean on all of us. We've been there before and came out the other end. Now many of us stick around to help those who follow.

Try to get your husband on the forum also. Reading this stuff he will think of a thousand questions to ask, he never thought of before.

Hang in there, you'll get through it.

Tony
Posted By: sweetpe1 Re: Hi everyone ! - 10-13-2014 02:42 AM
Welcome to OCF

Sorry to hear of the set back.
Hopefully the I V antibiotics will get that infection cleared up. My mother developed an infection from the surgical biopsy and we didn't even know it. She didn't even run a fever. She went in for surgery a week later and the Oncologist told us she had a horrible infection in that area . She also had an IV antibiotic while she stood in the hospital. After we came home it seemed like the infections started to come back so the doctor called in some "Doxycyline Hyclate "and she seems to be doing fine now.

Good luck also with the Bone Graft.
Heidi

Posted By: sophie theriault Re: Hi everyone ! - 10-19-2014 02:33 PM
Hi Snicker

My husband's cancer started under his left tooth cavity and was given antibiotics. He was diagnosed with stage 4 squamous cell carcinoma with metastasis to the lymph nodes.Two months later was his surgery and then radiation. His skin flap died as soon as we were dismissed to go home but his bone graft was OK. Now a year later he is a surviver.

Will your husband get a new bone graft once he healed?

Hang in there, Sophie
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum