Posted By: greg t hegler new to site - 09-20-2014 06:17 PM
Hi There,My name is Greg and I have just become a cancer patient.I had a tumor removed from the back of my throat on 9-4-14 and was informed that it was cancer on 9-6-14. I had my appointment with the radiologist on 9-18-14. masked was formed and treatments to start soon. Scared !!!
Posted By: Uptown Re: new to site - 09-20-2014 08:37 PM
I bet you are! Just remember many have traveled the road ahead of you and while we can't make it as smooth as we like, we can help you every step of the way. Welcome!
Posted By: Maria Re: new to site - 09-20-2014 11:45 PM
Welcome, Greg. Sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us. I am glad to hear that your doctors are moving forward quickly with the radiation planning - my husband's was delayed by the winter holidays, and it was really frustrating.
Maria
Posted By: ChristineB Re: new to site - 09-21-2014 12:11 AM
Welcome to OCF, Greg! Im sorry you have been given the OC diagnosis but Im glad you have found our forum to help you get thru the upcoming battle.

There will be so many things to do before you begin treatments. Make sure to have a full blood workup done including testosterone and thyroid levels. Get a thorough dental check up and take care of any questionable teeth, get flouride trays made. Anyone you talk to about your condition who offers their assistance, tell them when the time comes you will let them know how they can help. Make sure you make a list of everyone with their contact info. This could come in handy down the road.

For right now focus on eating all your favorite foods. your sense of taste and ability to swallow may make eating difficult for a while so eat now. Dont worry about gaining weight, eat everything and have dessert too. Most patients undergo substantial weight loss during their treatments so bulking up is a good plan.

Hang in there! I know its scary, the unknown always is. We will help guide you thru everything so stick with us.

Posted By: greg t hegler Re: new to site - 09-21-2014 12:22 AM
Thanks for your advise. Teeth are a concern but am making an appointment this week. Blood work is good as per 2 months ago !! Thanks for throwing out the welcome mat !!!
Posted By: tamvonk Re: new to site - 09-21-2014 02:19 PM
Hi Greg,
I'm presuming that you have had a CT , MRI or PET scan to aid in this diagnosis and to stage the tumour?
Posted By: greg t hegler Re: new to site - 09-21-2014 09:06 PM
Hi There,yes I did have the ct scan just before my tumor was removed.I will add that,I hope hubby is getting better. Greg
Posted By: n74tg Re: new to site - 09-23-2014 01:51 AM
Hi Greg - welcome to the family. Lots of us have gone before you and come out the other end. Treatment won't be easy; it can be anywhere from mild to downright horrible. Sadly, it's different for all of us, so no way to predict what you will face personally.

Just know that everything you will face has been faced by someone else here in the family. We will all be in your corner every step of the way.

Start eating, eat everything you like, and lots of it. Don't worry about gaining weight right now because I promise you, you will lose weight during treatment. Some of us lost a lot of weight, me 42 pounds overall.

Hang in there, you will get through this just fine.

Tony
Posted By: greg t hegler Re: new to site - 09-29-2014 12:16 AM
Thanks to everyone who has responded. It will be a very trying time for me and do appreciate all the encouraging words!!! I have been diagnosed with Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma stage 2 which I am finding out is a rare cancer in this neck of the woods !! I knew I was special !!! LOL
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum