Posted By: Professor Is too much saliva a bad thing? - 08-17-2014 12:37 PM
Hi, my brother is post treatment and has an issue with the amount of saliva his mouth is producing at present. Is this normal (even though everyone is individual) and is this healthy and a good thing? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Is too much saliva a bad thing? - 08-17-2014 02:51 PM
I can't tell how long ago your brother finished treatment but it is common to have an excess of mucus for the first couple of months after treatment as the body is sloughing off dead cells and removing them. For many, as soon as the thick mucus stops, dry mouth ensues.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Is too much saliva a bad thing? - 08-17-2014 07:54 PM
Most patients will struggle with their lack of saliva after rads. Of course it will vary from patient to patient. The location of their tumor where they would have received the most radiation probably has a slight impact. A complete recovery can take a 2 full years. Most patients will only see slight improvements in their sense of taste, fatigue levels and saliva after about 6-8 months post rads. Many of us will be life long water bottle carriers, always having one with us at all times.

Ive sent you a private message (PM) with info on how to add your signature. By having a signature it helps us to know what your brother has been thru which greatly helps us to help you both. Click on the tiny flashing envelope next to the My Stuff tab. The link in the PM has alot of helpful forum info.

Posted By: Professor Re: Is too much saliva a bad thing? - 08-17-2014 11:15 PM
Thanks to all again smile
Posted By: ChrisN Re: Is too much saliva a bad thing? - 08-18-2014 12:45 AM
For whatever reason, I made a ridiculous amount of saliva during and early post-tx. At nearly 3 years out my salivary function is better than most. I make a lot more of the thick component and not nearly enough of the thin so I'm always on the verge of "cotton mouth ". I am very blessed to have what I have.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum