Posted By: KKJJ My husband's after effects - 06-18-2014 07:25 PM
My husband had radiation therapy and finished his treatments in September of 2013. He has since developed severe numbness in his face and mouth, swelling of his hands and terrible joint pain in his shoulders, and joints. He has seen neurologist, rheumatologist and of course his medical and radiation oncologist. No one can seem to fix this problem. He still has his feeding tube and can not eat by mouth. The rheumatologist has put him on Lyrica and Plaquenil for 3 months and told us that if this doesn't work she suggested going to Mayo Clinic. We are at the end of our ropes here so can anyone shed some light on what exactly is going on with him. The doctors just don't seem to have any answers.
Thanks so much!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: My husband's after effects - 06-18-2014 10:15 PM
Welcome to OCF! Im sorry to hear your husband is still having problems 9 months post rads.

I know radiation treatments are NOT easy to go thru. A complete recovery can take a full 2 years. Its full of ups and downs with many setbacks. I wish I had an answer to what was going on with his health problems, but unfortunately I do not have a medical background so I cant answer your question with what is wrong with him. I can only advise to focus on his nutritional intake. Ask the doc about adding some high protein whey powder to help with his healing. Every single day he should be taking in at least 2500 calories of the best, most balanced prescription formula he can get. There are well over 100 different types on the market. Having good nutrition can only help further his recovery.

Best wishes with his continued recovery!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My husband's after effects - 06-19-2014 12:41 PM
Try different docs.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: My husband's after effects - 06-19-2014 04:47 PM
YUP - different doctors.. also try physio, and lymphatic massage (assuming he is cancer free!) the massage will stimulate blood flow, and nerves, and move his lymphatic fluid which at this point is stagnant and likely causes swelling, pain and numbness.

Physio will do the same and strengthen the damaged muscles. Nerves do regenerate - SLOWLY - so if he does the physio, and massage, in time things will improve. I am still numb in certain areas, but for the most part, my arm and neck are normal in strength. I have no swelling and feeling is returning SLOWLY.

hugs.

Posted By: KKJJ Re: My husband's after effects - 06-23-2014 07:50 PM
Thanks for your quick response. I appreciate your help. We will check into the whey powder.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum