Posted By: crippenfit never done this before - 05-19-2014 01:56 PM
HI MY NAME IS JULIE AND I FOUND THIS SITE IN A GOOGLE SEARCH. I AM TRYING TO LOCATE INFORMATION ON LOWER JAW FLAP SURGERY.(AM NOT EVEN SURE WHAT ITS CALLED) FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN THROUGH IT. MY DAD IS A 9 YEAR BASE OF TOUNGE CANCER SURVIVOR (SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA-SP). BUT HAD A TOOTH PULLED THAT LED TO ORN AND NOW AFTER HBO THERAPY IS FACING THIS SEEMING HORRIFIC SURGERY. I HAVE READ AND CAN SEE HOW TRULY HELPFUL THIS "SITE" COULD BE IF I CAN FIGURE IT OUT. smile ANY AND ALL HELP WOULD BE SO TRULY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: never done this before - 05-19-2014 02:48 PM
Hi there - there are a few here who've had it here and are doing well. I'm sure they will be along to give you some advice. It's not an easy surgery and from what I understand it's best if they use a leg bone to rebuild the jaw as the titanium they tend to use can be rejected. My best advice it get a top surgeon to do the work. And welcome - congrats on your father's survivorship. Take care and best of luck
Posted By: crippenfit Re: never done this before - 05-19-2014 04:08 PM
FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THAT IS WHAT IS PLANNED ON BOTH ACCOUNTS, LEG AND SURGEON. EVEN THOUGH THE ONE WE REALLY WANTED ISN'T IN HIS "NETWORK" THE ONE WE ARE GOING WITH IS HIGHLY RECOMENED. THANK YOU SO MUCH I WILL BE WATCHING AND WAITING.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: never done this before - 05-19-2014 08:42 PM
Julie, welcome to OCF! Ive had the mandibulectomy. I will be happy to answer any of your questions.
Posted By: Bart Re: never done this before - 05-19-2014 10:07 PM
Hi Julie,

Might an old man request a favor of you? Please locate your caps lock key and disengage it. Thank you very much!

And I highly recommend whatever Christine tells you about your father's upcoming surgery! She definitely knows all about that subject.

Good luck to your father with his surgery, and thank you for being here for him!

Bart
Posted By: Brian Liebenow Re: never done this before - 05-19-2014 10:48 PM
I've had the surgery also, though mine was unsuccessful. I had it in Denver. I'm happy to answer any questions. Where will you be doing the surgery?
Posted By: crippenfit Re: never done this before - 05-19-2014 11:54 PM
Well I am kind of worried now but we are in Denver. His doctor will be Dr.Campana and will more than likely be done in Porter Adventist. I am so sorry that it wasn't successful for you. What does unsuccessful mean? Could you give me some advice? I would really appreciate it.
Thank you for your reply.
Posted By: crippenfit Re: never done this before - 05-20-2014 12:08 AM
Brian,
I went to your blog, I have never actually been on one before! I am not a techie type person. You are a huge inspiration. I am going to get my dad to check it out too! The courage it took to live it is sometimes so down played by people who haven't been there. I can honestly say we haven't seen the worst yet by far but it has been no stroll in the park either. Thank you for giving hope to others!
Posted By: Brian Liebenow Re: never done this before - 05-20-2014 10:10 PM
Julie,
I had Campana too! Sent you a PM.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum