Posted By: MLC husband just diagnosed - 04-07-2014 02:39 AM
my husband was just diagnosed last monday. We are past the shock and tears and now its time to fight. Are some of the pages on your website under construction? some don't seem to pull up. Really looking for home made tube feeding recipes and if anyone out there used Dronabinal for pain relief and appetite stimulation.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: husband just diagnosed - 04-07-2014 12:50 PM
Welcome to OCF! You have found a great source for info and support to help you and your husband get thru the upcoming treatments.

Best wishes!
Posted By: PaulB Re: husband just diagnosed - 04-07-2014 01:17 PM
Welcome MLC. I used Dronabinol, and is also known as Marinol. It's used to help nausea and as an appetite stimulant, not so much as pain I'm aware of. I guess it helped having gone from 130 to 175lbs, but I'm still 50lbs or more lighter from my original weight, but will stay where I'm at for now. As far as shakes, there are a few recipes here, a number of cookbooks elsewhere, and basically anything can be liquified, diluted for the tube, especially with a Vitamix.

Good luck.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: husband just diagnosed - 04-07-2014 01:41 PM
Hi there... Welcome... Tell your hubby to eat as much as he can now and eat the foods he enjoys. Chances are his appetite and ability to eat and swallow will wane during treatment. (Assuming he's having rads - that will likely be the last 2-3 weeks and the first two or so after treatment has finished)

I didn't recognize the name at first - but when Paul said marinol I knew what it was. It's not available in canada anymore... It's a THC derivative - aka - marijuana. It will likely stimulate his appetite which is a good thing, however there are some side effects and drug interactions so as long as it is your dr is the one who prescribed it... I suppose it will do its job. Also if there are any kidney or liver issues, it's should be avoided.. Apparently.

Anyway hugs and sorry you have to be here.
Posted By: Bart Re: husband just diagnosed - 04-07-2014 02:48 PM
Hi there, MLC,

Here is our very own ChristineB's famous, fabulous Highly Nutritional Shake:

It has garnered nothing but rave reviews from our members. Enjoy!

<<Giant High Calorie Choc-Peanut Butter Milkshake

3 or 4 cups chocolate ice cream (regular/full fat type)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth type)
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 or 2 cups whole milk (can substitute half and half to add even more calories)
1 scoop carnation instant breakfast
1 scoop high protein whey powder (check with doc if this is ok)

Blend this extra long to make it very smooth and creamy so it goes down easier. If the shake is too thick, add more milk to thin it down to what works best for you.
Posted By: MLC Re: husband just diagnosed - 04-09-2014 02:05 AM
Thank you for the support. Feeding tube inserted, power port placed. Picking up mouth guards tomorrow and having scan for face mask. Starting Erbitux next monday. Radiation starts next monday.
I am also scared. Found a white lesion on inside of my left cheek. Hope its not a cancer also. Wouldn't that be ironic if both of us had oral cancer at the same time. Can't even think about that!!!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: husband just diagnosed - 04-09-2014 02:03 PM
That would be horrible. Wait a bit... see what happens give it two weeks if it's not gone have it checked. Don't ignore your health because of this, you need to be in good shape too.

hugs.
Posted By: Brian Liebenow Re: husband just diagnosed - 04-11-2014 08:50 PM
Hello, for tubefeeding recipes you can go to foodfortubies.org or try drinkyourmeals.com

There is also a Blenderized Food for Tubies group on Facebook. I've been eating through a feeding tube more than five years now. If your husband will have a tube long-term, you should look into getting a good blender (Vitamix or Blendtec). PM me if you have any questions.
Posted By: Matthew1025 Re: husband just diagnosed - 04-18-2014 11:25 PM
with erbitux, please be prepared for what could be a world class rash...antibiotics such as keflex may be a lifesaver
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum