Posted By: Dave H Introduction - 07-14-2003 02:30 PM
I hope this is the proper way to post an Intro on this site. I had my surgery on 2/1/03 and came throught the radition that followed like a champ thanks to the prayers from friends and family. My hope here is that I can locate some individuals that are further down the road of survival to discuss my side effects and fears.

I have been diagnosed as follows:
SCC, Left tonsil, stage 4, one large positve node, radical neck, radiation.

I would like to thank Terry Zane for refering me to this VALUABLE webite.
Posted By: Powerlifter Re: Introduction - 07-14-2003 09:51 PM
Hi Dave, well, I'm a little further along. I finished radiation in June of 02. Feel free to
e-mail me anytime. You sound positive and are looking share info. Some folks don't want to know any "bad" stuff, and that's fine. I prefer to learn all there is to know about treatment, side effects, prognosis, everything.
O-O
Posted By: karenng Re: Introduction - 07-14-2003 10:09 PM
Hi Dave, I am sure you have come to the right place here to get a lot of support and experience sharing.My case is very much similar to yours with left tonsil cancer met.to left neck lymph nodes. It was diagnosed as stage 4B cancer in 9/01. I have survived after intensive radiation and chemotherapy. No neck surgery. E-mail me direct if you want to hear more about my story.

Karen stage 4 tonsil caner diagnosed in 9/01.
Posted By: GRE1 Re: Introduction - 07-15-2003 12:30 AM
We should start a left tonsil sub-group here, Brian can you spare the other 12 hours in your day? Dave, I was stage 4 LEFT tonsil, 2 nodes involved with minor tongue involvement. I completed the whole deal(surgery and radiation) on 12/23/2002. Like you, I got through the radiation pretty well. So well it worried me. I figured if it didn't really mess me up maybe it didn't mess the cancer up enough, know what I mean? I'm over that now and feeling great. I'm approaching the one year from diagnosis point and please feel free to contact me if you think I may be of any help.

Glenn
Posted By: karenng Re: Introduction - 07-15-2003 08:22 AM
Glenn, I understand exactly what you mean because I have the same feeling. I always wonder if my illness had been fully treated by the radiation and chemotherapy I underwent. People around including myself are amazed at how well I have recovered from my treatment. I could go back to my previous job 7 months post treatment and now I go swimming for an hour after work every day ( on both very cold and hot days)without feeling tired. My husband always said that I look much healthier than before I was diagnosed with cancer. I told my oncologist that if not for the dry mouth and loss of taste, I would have thought that I had never had the big C in my life.The anxiety of recurrence is still with me but it has been gradually lessened as time goes by.I really hope that all stage 4 cancer fighters on this forum can be as lucky as me, if not luckier.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.
Posted By: WZ Re: Introduction - 07-15-2003 09:23 AM
Hi, Gang.
I am another left tonsil cancer guy. Stage 4 and 4 lymph nodes involvement, I went through surgery, radiation and concurrent chemo. Treatment ended Nov 2002, but the recovery process was slow as well as up and down. I think my surgery was quite aggressive, I saw others reported that 20 or 30 lymph nodes were removed during the neck dissection. Then, I went through my operation report noticiing that there were more than 70 nodes removed from my left neck (yes ! one side). I am nor complaining anything, I think this probabally the reason that it took longer for me to recover.
Posted By: Anita210 Re: Introduction - 07-15-2003 12:36 PM
Does anybody know how it is determined how may nodes must be removed? My husband (another stage 4 left tonsil guy) had 18 nodes removed.

Anita
Posted By: Julie Re: Introduction - 07-15-2003 01:12 PM
My husband was stage 4 tonsil cancer, but the right tonsil, not the left. He finished treatment 7-00, that makes him a three year survivor, yeah! He did not have a neck disection, just the first surgery that found the cancer and then radiation. He is doing great three years later, so hang in there everyone!
Julie
Posted By: GRE1 Re: Introduction - 07-15-2003 02:24 PM
Anita,

My understanding is that the actual number of nodes removed is dependant on how invasive your Surgeon/Doctors feel your dissection should be. I had 27 nodes taken out during what I believe is called a functional neck dissection. The more they take the more invasive the surgery. So if someone had a lot of nodes removed it would involve more collateral damage as in the case of a radical neck dissection. I have not experienced any range of motion issues on the dissected side where someone who had a radical dissection might.

Glenn
Posted By: Anita210 Re: Introduction - 07-15-2003 02:38 PM
Julie and everyone else,
These recent posts with positive stories are coming at a good time for me. My husband goes in for a complete body CT scan and blood tests tomorrow and I have been really nervous about it for several days. This "watchful waiting" stuff is really hard.

Thanks,
Anita
Posted By: Dave H Re: Introduction - 07-15-2003 02:54 PM
I know that they "harvested" (surgical term for took it) a lot of Nodes during my radical neck dissection. I never have thought about the count! I just remember them saying that all of them are going on leftside of the neck and some down lower on the top of my shoulder blade. What I do recall is that the one node with the met. had a positive margin eek . I have lost range of motion as a result of the surgery because they also "Harvested" my accessory nerve, but I will still be playing volleyball because I hit with my right. Yah!!! laugh

I have a bone scan tomorrow, no problem / no pain!! But as usually a little short in the breath until I get the results. Have already had a clean PET though!

All for now, hang in there every one and thanks for being there, here, in cyberspace. Bye
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum