Posted By: janet09 Do you have upper jaw cancer? - 02-06-2003 07:24 AM
Hello, thanks for visiting my link. My name is Su and I am in the UK and my dear mother has recently been diagnosed as having cancer of the upper jaw. She only knew she had it when her dentist said the painless red mark on her upper gum was not healing and it was diagnosed soon after as cancer.

It had aparently got into the jaw, however not into the lymph glands (thank goodness) She was rushed into surgery and has had the top right upper jaw and half of the roof of her mouth removed and is now at home recovering. She is at the stage where she is awaiting to see if they got out all the cancer or whether she will have to have radio therapy. (which she is dreading)

It was a shock to the whole family. Even though she is 66 years old it was so unexpected. She is a fit, healthy 66 year old and looked like she is only 50! she has pretty blonde hair, put up in a pony tail and soft blue eyes, so its sad to see my mother have scars across her face and skull. (but she still looks lovely in my eyes!)

Tomorrow she is having the false plate that's screwed into the roof of her mouth removed and will be fitted with a bunge type denture.

My mother has coped remarkably well with the surgery and was home with a week and she is healing well, although eating is not easy and she has to eat pulped food and she does have liquid coming down her nose when she eats, which she is told is ok and not to fret, as its to do with not having a good fitting bunge in yet. This is iratating, but she is dealing with it. She can talk ok, but on the 'S's' she lisps a little.

The worst side effect so far, is when she smiles, only one side of her face reacts and she looks a little like she has had a stroke. (we are hoping in time, when the scars heal, this may get better)

She is remarkably strong and positive and she is eating good healthy foods, thinking this will aid with her healing. I have been with her throughout and tried to find as much info i can to help her from my computer. (Its amazing how much negative info one can find, we know the survival statistics, but what we are looking for is the positive stories!)

One thing that we havent found is other people who have experienced something similar. It seems many people have cancer in the tongue, lower jaw and tonsils, but as yet we havent found anyone to talk to who has had the upper jaw taken out.

If anyone reads this and would be kind enough to just tell us your stories, we would very much apreciate it and I will print them out and take them to my mother and I send you many thanks on her behalf in advance.

We are hoping there are a few success stories out there??

Things that my mother would like to share thoughts about are things, like side effects, how you cope with the bunge on a day to day basis,did you get the movement in your face back, have you any tips, advise, or anything to be honest, it all helps us to deal with the situation.

I wish everyone who reads this and who has cancer our genuine thoughts and care. Our family is strong, but this shock has hit us all hard, we so feel for mum, never a nicer person would you wish to meet, it just doesnt seem fair.

If you wish to e mail us personally, feel free to do so. thanks Su (and her mum Janet)
Posted By: janet09 Re: Do you have upper jaw cancer? - 02-08-2003 10:26 AM
Ok guys, you are now getting me worried! I have checked my link everyday to see if anyone has replied with a positive story and I am the only link with no replies? we are trying to be positive, but my fears that there are NO positive stories out there is coming true?
Posted By: JDeereMan Re: Do you have upper jaw cancer? - 02-08-2003 03:18 PM
While my cancer diagnosis was not for upper jaw, but for laryngeal cancer, maybe this might help. The tumor was found on my epiglottis, right above my vocal cords. Like your mom's mine had not spread to any other locations. So it was classed as a stage 1, size of tumor was a 2. I had appointments with a ENT surgeon who felt surgery was not required at that time. I then went to a radiation oncologist who suggested 40 treatments. I had 40 radiation treatments of my head and neck, which was completed last July 31st. Since then I have been cancer free. My chances for a complete recovery are very good. There are a lot success stories here on the site. Keeping a positive attitude will help and go a long way for you and your mom to get through all this.

Mike D.

Diagnosed 06/2002, w/Laryngeal cancer, 1st stage
Posted By: gnelson Re: Do you have upper jaw cancer? - 02-08-2003 03:26 PM
Hi, The reason you probably have no replys are that you asked ,any upper jaw cancer? I had my lower jaw operated on many times , it is missing about 2 or three inches of bone. I am in reconstruction. There are very few people who post who have had a large portion of bone removed from lower jaw so there must be fewer for upper. From what happened to me it sounds like your Mom is doing very well.
As soon as she feels better you can make her feel good about herself also, get her to get her hair done, go shopping and buy some things to make her feel good, and look good. I know it is very hard to get use to a big change in personal apperance.
There are many success stories in the posts on this forum, take the time to read some of them and you will feel better about all of this. Good luck to you and your MOM. gnelson, Stage IV, Cancer Free since 11/9/00.
Posted By: janet09 Re: Do you have upper jaw cancer? - 02-08-2003 06:59 PM
Thank you to you both, your comments are very useful. I am beginning to think my mothers condition could be quite rare.

She has her two front teeth still left in, but has lost ALL her jaw on one side, right to the very back of her mouth and half her roof of her mouth. She has her new bunge and plate fitted, but it is going to take some getting used to, as it quite large to fit in the area cut away.

I think its hard for a woman, as our looks are often very important to us.

To anyone who has upper jaw cancer please send us some news, but we love to hear from anyone with advise and inspiration.

One question we would like to put to you all in general is...Do you believe in the 'Bristol Diet' which recomends you cutting back on fat, sugar and dairy products and eat loads of organic fruit and veg instead? as it is claimed this slows down cancer growth. What do all the long term survivors eat? have you changed you diet and what to?

This site is so good, we have learnt so much. Thanks to you all and we wish you all good thoughts, su and Janet
Posted By: stefon Re: Do you have upper jaw cancer? - 02-09-2003 12:25 PM
Su and Janet,

I had cancer on my upper jaw (found on my gums where my wisdom teeth used to be). Mine was discovered early by my dentist but I still had three teeth and the supporting bone removed up to the roof of my mouth. I have subsequently had reconstructive surgery to graft iliac crest (hip) bone into my mouth and then two dental implants were placed in the grafted bone. The implants were placed in November 2002, which was just over two years following my initial cancer diagnosis. I wish you well on your recovery!
Posted By: marie Re: Do you have upper jaw cancer? - 02-10-2003 09:08 AM
Hi Su and Janet,
I wish I could help more, but my hubby has not yet had his surgery. (2/24 is our big day)
There IS some bone involvement, along with palate/salivary gland cancer, tho we don't know how much til surgery. I pray it is not too extensive. If so, I may be coming to YOU to ask for advice and info.
In the meantime, our prayers are with you and we send good thoughts. In my experience (bilateral breast cancer) prayers are the best and mightiest gift. I wish you both well, and will look for further posts from you, hoping most are positive.
God bless you both.
:)marie
Posted By: janet09 Re: Do you have upper jaw cancer? - 02-10-2003 05:43 PM
Thank you Stefan and Marie for sending us messages.

To Stefan , we have not heard of reconstructive surgery using the hip bone for upper jaw surgery. My mother was not given this option, I wonder if different techniques are used in different countries? My mother has had bone matter taken from her skull to rebuild the roof of her mouth (to seal the hole)I think they call it a 'flap'? and a prosetic plate to replace the jaw and teeth. The only problem she has, is it might not be sealed correctly as she has liquid coming out her nose when she eats sometimes, which isnt very nice, but it isnt distressing her too much, its just like she has the sniffles and the surgeons know about it and have said its not serious and can be rectified. Thanks for your comments, stay well and our very best wishes.

To Marie. We wish your husband well with his surgery. Feel free to e mail us at any time and tell us how your husband has got on. We are not far ahead of you in this cancer challenge, but if you would like to chat or ask questions to my mum, feel free, we will happily reply. Good luck and best wishes to you both.
Posted By: janet09 Re: Do you have upper jaw cancer? - 02-10-2003 05:48 PM
P.S. Sorry ...forgot to say, mums results from the op will be ready on the 21st of this month. If they have cut a clear margin around the tumor, we are hoping she is spared radio therapy. However if cancer cells are still left, radio therapy is next. I will post and tell you the results when i know.
Posted By: janet09 Re: Do you have upper jaw cancer? - 02-21-2003 11:37 AM
MUM HAD HER RESULTS TODAY!

THEY WERE VERY GOOD!

Aparently they have cut a wide margin clear around the tumour and they think
this is a very good sign that she will now be on the road to recovery.

A Stage 4 tumour and no spread, can you believe it! so for all you stage 4 cancer patients...THERE IS HOPE!!

We are aware she may get a reoccurance, but at this moment in time we are
extatic!

As mum has suffered no spread, (or shall we say it is not noticeable?) and
because she has such clear wide margins, it has been advised to hold off
radiotherapy at this stage, keeping it back in case of reoccurance. It was
decided the risk of not having radiotherapy, compared to the side effects of
having it at the moment, is in favour of holding it off for awhile and see
how things go?

She is being checked fortnightly for the next few months, then monthly and
she will have another MRI soon to double check there is no spread also and
if there is, then radiotherapy might be advised.

However at this moment in time, I couldn't win the lottery and feel any
happier!

Mum has been strict with her diet, she has cut out fatty and sugary foods, along with additives, junk food and gone for organic and fresh foods and bottled water....have no idea whether this has helped? but it may have? she looks ever so fit all things considered. She has also had plenty of sleep, kept active, kept strength of mind, a positive attitude and wore a crystal a faith healer gave her? Have no idea if any of it worked and whether it was just the surgery alone, but it resulted in good results at this stage. We worked on the theory 'try everything' in the complimentary medicine alongside surgery, leave no stone unturned, at least if we didnt get good results, we know we have tried our very best to help her.

So for the while we can all relax and hope she goes from strength to strength.

If anyone read this and wants any advice regarding upper jaw cancer, we can tell you about our experiences, if it helps? just e mail us.

thanks to everyone who wrote to us and we wish you all happy results too.

best wishes su and janet
Posted By: Joanna Re: Do you have upper jaw cancer? - 02-21-2003 09:25 PM
Su and Janet, congratulations and thank you SO much for posting. I am sure there is not one of us who isn't just jumping up and down for you. We need to hear good news like that. As far as what works, I personally believe that a positive attitude cannot be beat for helping in all areas, and it sound like you and your mum have this down pat. Now go and Party Hearty!
Joanna
Posted By: Mark Re: Do you have upper jaw cancer? - 04-04-2003 12:51 AM
SU that is great news! I am new to the group and I wanted to comment on your "bristol Diet" I read a very good book called "Beating cancer with nutrition" and that author is very down on sugar, fats and very big on veggie (especially the bright colored vegies as very helpful) You may want to find it in your book stores.

I personally try to stay on that trend I have cut out all sugar, But I still eat meat and probably way too much fat. (I had to gain back the weight I lost during radiation treatment.) so happy for your mother and that she may not have to go through with radiation!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum