Posted By: JElm New many yr survivor - 10-15-2013 04:55 AM
Just found site wife & I could have used it when I went thru treatments. Not sure how much has changed in the treatments over the years, but am sure the terror factor is about the same. I spent about 18+ mos. begin'g in '94 trying to find out what was creat'g the periodic pain in my right ear when I yawned before everyone (dentist & Drs.) threw up their hands and asked if I wanted a biopsy. My tumor was a "reverse presentation," so the "visual" after the biop was "not cancer." The tremendous shock came a few days later, cancer base of the tongue, and treatments began right after the first of '96. On 2nd day of radiation had 1st of 2 planned chemo (Cissplantnum & 5FU) & was in hospital by next day. Chemo & I did not get along as it created blister burns begin'g in my mouth & clear thru my intestinal system (no chemo #2). Feed'g tube was put in on day 4 & I did not eat, drink and/or talk for the next 5 months, as the radiation now began to blister the chemo blisters in my mouth & on my tongue.

It is interesting that in reading the main page of the website Brian Hill refers to the "light at the end of the tunnel," which was a phrase and visualization that I personally used to get me thru the ordeal of the treatments. It felt like I was in this pitch black cave/tunnel on the worlds largest, most twistiest and scariest roller coster ride ever created, as I never knew from one day to the next what it would bring or how I would feel. However, I would always "look" for this (at first) pin prick of light and try and focus on "the light at the end of the tunnel" and imagine the "light" getting larger and stronger day by day during treatments, no matter how I happened to feel at the time. It was a day to day process.

I feel exceedingly blessed to still be here and be able to enjoy life tremendously with this second chance. This coming Feb ('14) will mark my 18th year of end of treatments and being cancer free. Yes, times of "dry mouth" have not completely vanished, but are infrequent and very livable. The 1st 6 to 8 years I rarely went any where without carrying my water bottle, now I consider myself "normal" when it comes to water (I can go for my walks w/o carrying a water bottle). Food tastes great, I got much of my thin salvia back, it was a long process, but little by little it has gotten better and better. No, annual check-ups never go away.
Posted By: David2 Re: New many yr survivor - 10-15-2013 05:07 AM
JElm, let me be the first to congratulate you. A great story about a courageous person. You've inspired this nearly 5-year survivor. And I was just about that age when I was diagnosed.

See you in 18 more years!
Posted By: n74tg Re: New many yr survivor - 10-15-2013 11:05 AM
Wow, from a newly diagnosed patient who hasn't even started radiation yet, it's hard for me to even think about where you are and what you have already gone through.

Your story helps in ways maybe not even imagined yet. Thank you for that.

I don't see a light yet, not even a tiny one. So, where's that flashlight.

Looking forward to watching my grandson graduate ... in 18 years.

Tony
Posted By: ChristineB Re: New many yr survivor - 10-15-2013 01:42 PM
Welcome to OCF, JE! Its great having long term survivors join our group. Its not often a survivor joins who went thru everything prior to this site being created. Treatments havent changed much for this awful disease except for the IMRT radiation being the norm now.

Im sure you will find some interesting reading and maybe make some posts in the new section for long term survivors and issues.

Brian has quite a story. Here is the link so you (or anyone else who is interested) can read about it.

http://oralcancerfoundation.org/about/brianhill.htm

http://oralcancerfoundation.org/about/key-staff.htm

Congrats on being a long term survivor!!!
Posted By: ngk Re: New many yr survivor - 10-15-2013 03:22 PM
Thanks J, I just finished my tx yesterday and i love reading survivor/conquerer stories. I can't imagine how scary that was so long ago without a place like OCF to carry you along your journey. Very cool that you joined this site at this time!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New many yr survivor - 10-15-2013 04:26 PM
Awesome and welcome... smile
Posted By: Deejer47 Re: New many yr survivor - 10-15-2013 06:50 PM
Glad you found this site. Your story will surely give a much needed morale boost to many of us.
Posted By: Bart Re: New many yr survivor - 10-15-2013 07:42 PM
Welcome here, J! You're going to be a valuable inspiration to everyone!
Posted By: KP5 Re: New many yr survivor - 10-16-2013 01:50 AM
Thank you so much for sharing. We just completed 2 years out and you are an inspiration for us!!!
Welcome to our OCF family!!
Kathy
Posted By: tina77 Re: New many yr survivor - 10-16-2013 11:37 AM
Jim, welcome, and thanks. I just hit one year (and had my speech/swallowing assessment yesterday - damn cookie with barium, who can ever swallow that stuff without water?), which really focuses my thoughts on the saliva, so the abatement of dry mouth for you was very encouraging for me.

I hope to make a similar post in 17 years!
Posted By: ChrisN Re: New many yr survivor - 10-16-2013 04:30 PM
Tina77, I just had a chuckle. Had a swallow study as well. When they hand you something to eat or drink and they have to also tell you what it is, well that can't be good...

This is applesauce.

This is graham cracker.
Ha!

That aside the technology is incredible. I went through some swallow therapy which cost a stinking fortune and I still didn't "pass" the second study. I decided close was good enough. Without exception, when I choke it's right after I did something stupid (too big a bite, too dry a bite with no liquid, etc). The therapy was beneficial but common sense is as well.
Posted By: julieann Re: New many yr survivor - 10-16-2013 05:33 PM
Sounds like me, Chris. I failed my barium swallow test miserably so swallowing therapy was ordered. I did 35
1-hr sessions of therapy and still couldn't do much better than I did when I first started them. I did learn to bend my head down when I couldn't swallow something, and also turn my head from one side to the next to swallow. Yippee! Insurance paid some but not all and it was expensive. It might help others, but to me it was a waste of time and money. Your "common sense" approach is better than the therapy was, hate to say.
Julieann
Posted By: tina77 Re: New many yr survivor - 10-17-2013 12:25 PM
Chris, I would have preferred applesauce, I got butterscotch pudding - ughhh.

I am, as always, so upset when I see that people cannot afford part of the treatment options that are available. Not to get political on anyone, but I was not out of pocket one penny, nor did I have to process anything through an insurance plan for speech, physio, nutritionist, hospital, you name it. Perhaps the US government needs to take a look at the (much maligned) Canadian health care system.
Posted By: Bart Re: New many yr survivor - 10-17-2013 01:47 PM
HI Tina,

Since I don't want to say anything political, I won't say that we in the US have been well and truly hosed since we decided that Medicine was just another business in a for-profit world.

Nope, I wouldn't say that, even with a mouthful...
Posted By: KP5 Re: New many yr survivor - 10-17-2013 06:22 PM
And in your not saying that I would say I agree...if we were saying it!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum