Posted By: Tracey S Father diagnosed with oral cancer - 11-13-2012 11:54 PM
Hello, I'm very thankful to find this site. My 85 year old Father has been diagnosed with cancer. This is his second go around. I am here to support him, as well as my Mother. He is tentatively schedule for a resection of his tongue. I'm sure I'll have many questions. Thanks in advance for your information/support, and hope you are all doing well on your own recoveries. Tracey
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Father diagnosed with oral cancer - 11-14-2012 01:54 AM
Welcome to OCF Tracey! So sorry your father must go thru this not just once but for a second time.

You will find lots of info and support here to help yoru family get thru this.

Best wishes with everything!
Posted By: KP5 Re: Father diagnosed with oral cancer - 11-14-2012 03:11 AM
Hi Tracey,
So sorry your Dad is back at it again. How are he and your Mom doing? I cannot imagine doing this at his age. What a trooper he is. Good for him. Do you live near them?
When do they have him tentatively scheduled for? Have they talked about chemo or radiation? Be sure to have him eat and eat right now. All his favorites every day all day!!
Please keep in touch. We're here!
Kathy
Posted By: ESikon Re: Father diagnosed with oral cancer - 11-14-2012 03:41 AM
Welcome Tracey!

So sorry that your father has to go through this disease again. We are here to support you.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Father diagnosed with oral cancer - 11-14-2012 04:01 PM
His there - welcome. The tongue resection quite a few of us have had. It's doable. Rads and chemo is a little more difficult but if your dad's in good shape he'll get through it. Take care and good luck with everything. Ps - get him the best medical care available.
Posted By: Bette Re: Father diagnosed with oral cancer - 11-16-2012 01:16 AM
Hi Tracey,

My husband Reggie is on his third go round with oral cancer. This time it is at the base of the tongue. He is headed to surgery on Dec. 5th. It doesn't get any easier when you have to go through it more than once. In fact, I think this third time is the worse for me as a caregiver.
That's why I'm here at OCF. Just to have some support and get as much info as I can. Good luck to your dad and the whole family, because it affects everyone.
Posted By: Tracey S Re: Father diagnosed with oral cancer - 11-16-2012 01:37 PM
Dad is still going through pre-op testing. Today we should find out what the recommended course of action is. Tentatively scheduled for surgery Dec 21, but we are trying to get it moved up. Good news is my folks live 5 miles from me and we are 30 miles from MD Anderson. Also, I only have a 2 mile commute to work which will facilitate coming and going for me. Thank you for asking about us. Lately, I've been crying at work, but have a great boss who understands. My Mother is concerned because of his age, and hers - she is 80. We know it will be difficult. However, she is a tough military wife that is already in "problem solving mode." Posting separately for advice on communication tools.
Posted By: David2 Re: Father diagnosed with oral cancer - 11-16-2012 09:19 PM
Tracey, sounds as if there's a lot of courage in your family. I'm so sorry to read about what your dad is going through but I know you're there to be strong for him.

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum