Posted By: AJD22304 Dad post surgery pain - 07-24-2012 03:38 PM
Hi, I have been reading/lurking for a few days now. My dad was recently diagnosed with malignant SSC on his tongue that spread to his lymph nodes on the left side. He had surgery last week and surgeon was pleased that all was removed tho we won't have pathology results back until later this week.

My dad seems to be in a lot of pain - is it normal to need the pain med max dose at the time it is due? Sometimes he tries to go longer and/or he misses a dosage bc he finally was able to sleep - but its clear he is in pain and needs it.

He was doing really well the first couple days post surgery but the last two days seem to be harder.

Not sure if I am being overly worried or if this is part of the healing process - there really isn't a lot of info out there about post surgery recovery process/timing -- and I don't want to be a pest calling the dr office all the time.

Any advice/suggestions/places to find more info are most appreciated.

Thanks,
Alicia
Posted By: Deejer47 Re: Dad post surgery pain - 07-24-2012 05:08 PM
Hi and welcome Alicia. I haven't had that surgery but my experience with other surgeries has been that if you wait to long to take the pain meds it's just harder to keep the pain under control. Best of luck and strength to your Dad.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Dad post surgery pain - 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
Its perfectly normal to be in alot of pain after any major surgery. Being in pain has never once helped a patient heal. Its ok to take pain meds. A agree with David, if you try to tough it out and then try playing catch up it usually doesnt work out so well. Better to take the meds for a few days as prescribed (usually every 4 hours or so depending upon the medication). If your father has been given something mild like something just a little stronger than is available over the counter then no wonder he is hurting. Recovery from what your father went thru can take several weeks, he will gradually feel better as time goes on.
Posted By: ConnieFL Re: Dad post surgery pain - 07-24-2012 06:35 PM
AJD,

I had tongue cancer and surgery no rad or chemo. I was on Roxycodene for 2 weeks then to tylenol over the counter. The tylenol worked fine afterwards. I took the pain meds every 4 hours. The pain meds didn't put me to sleep it worked reverse, but that's me.

Your Dad should be taking the meds when prescribed it does help with the healing process.

Hope all goes well.

Take care,
Connie

Posted By: AJD22304 Re: Dad post surgery pain - 07-25-2012 04:25 PM
Thanks so much! Its reassuring to hear other experiences and that this is "normal".

Alicia
Posted By: Maria Re: Dad post surgery pain - 07-25-2012 11:17 PM
Hi, Alicia -
you noted
[quote]and I don't want to be a pest calling the dr office all the time.
[/quote]

Actually, pest isn't quite correct - Patient Advocate is! It's ok to call with questions. Really!

Best wishes to your dad as he heals. And remember to take care of yourself, too!

Maria
Posted By: Kerri Re: Dad post surgery pain - 07-26-2012 04:18 AM
All good advice here, Alicia! Best wishes for your Dad's recovery and putting this cancer to bed for good! You're doing a great job! Take care of yourself, too.

smile Kerri
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum